• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

second opinion part of the process

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

monstergamin

Registered
After trying to wrap my head around things Like FSB is gone the way of the dinosaur, triple channel ram, and more pci slots than usb ports. I belive i am recovering from upgrade shock. last time I did this the athlon64 x2 was the best thing since slice bread.any way now That I have a lettle better understanding of things. and have settled on I7 930 cpu with a EVGA 1336 x58 http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007627 50001402&IsNodeId=1&name=EVGA

I realize EVGA might cost a little more , but just for the fact i have had good luck with EVGA and thier customer service is the best I ever dealt with I d My last mobo was the AMD590i the last mobo they did for amd with sli. and I have been every happy it.
The reason i went with intel was just the fact I was limited to very few MOBO that would support SLI still, everything was cross fire, and this upgrade is on a budget so i cant afford to buy 2-3 new video cards. my 2 8800gts will have to do till tax time, but I belive upgrading the CPU, MOBO, and Ram will still be a huge upgrade even with the older cards

My question is are there other things that I should be looking for? I heard mention of faster USB and SATA slot, there are little things that make a good mobo great ithink i picked a good board, the only thing this motherboard is missing is the dual ethernet as far as I can tell, but I know a lot of you prolly know more than i do about whats the way to go as far as getting the most upgrade for the price.
so please tips, facts , opinons please share

If you wanna future proof get a mobo with SATA 6.0GB/s and USB 3.0, but if you want to get those speeds you'll have to get a hard drive that runs on SATA 6 and USB peripherals that use USB 3.

And I'd get something that allows for more overclocking, or is meant for overclocking.

Usually the higher end boards will allow for this.

You could go balls out and get an EVGA Classified SR-2 that lets you use dual CPUs and has 6 memory slots and 7 PCI-E ports. :D

There's only one mobo from the link that you put up which is SATA 6 and USB 3.

Link

I have had very good luck with my gigabyte x58a-ud3, which has sata 6 and usb3 and clocks very well and is only priced at 220 just about anywhere. I had the evga sli e758 and it was awful. I know that my experience is different than many with the evga boards, but every giga board that I have owned kills the other x58 boards that I have tried.

In the end, if you like the evga boards they are nice and are super clockers for many. so no issue if that is what you want.

hmm i gladI asked so the 3.0 usb and the 6.0g sata make things diffrent the I belive my current hdd is 3.0? usb ill have to check out. thx for the input.

BTW Gigabyte is my second choice I have had good luck with gigabyte

thx

Back