• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with Pre-purchase

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JimS514

Registered
I currently have an ASUS P5N32e-SLI PLUS motherboard sporting a E6750 processor and 4GB of OCZ DDR2-800 RAM.

Looking to upgrade my system. I have picked up a new HAF932 case with a Xigmatek Dark Knight cooler, an MSI N250GTS 1GB video card, and a new power supply.

Now, I need to figure out a good motherboard\cpu combination. This rig is for flight simulator X, so processor speed is one of the most important things for this simulation.

I would like to approach 4Ghz on air, which I have been reading an I7-920 can do.

Here is what I am looking at:

GIGABYTE GA-X58A-UD7 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard

OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G2000LV6GK

Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor BX80601920

Would this be a good setup?

For the Gigabyte board, is there a model less than that one that would still allow the overclock but save me a few $$$?

Is there a better motherboard out there? What do you guys recommend? I am not an accomplished overclocker. I can set the ram timings and voltage and FSB, but beyond that I pretty much get lost.

Any help you can provide on my purchase would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Just get the i7 930 on the X58 platform...You can go less on the mobo to UD5 (I think thats its model name). You dont need, by any stretch, an unlocked multi chip to hit 4Ghz. ;)

Is there a performance hit with going with an 1156 mb? what is the diff between that and the 1366.

I see intel both has the I5 and I7 unlocked processor. My rig is for flight simulator x, which is a cpu bound program. I need the highest possible clock speed relative to budget.

Would a 1156 mb and the 875K reach higher speeds (without sacrficing performance) over an 1136mb with a I7-930?

Back