• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

new so775 board + ddr3?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sap

Hello folks,
I got a little bit of a situation here ;)
I'm not very experiences with overclocking but I had my CPU (Q6600 G0 on a Abit IP35 Pro with 4x1GB DDR2 GEIL) overclocked to 3,2GHZ with normal air cooling and it seemed fine. But already the very first tries showed me some problems with my RAM, took me quite a while to get some running without freezes etc.
I had my system running for about 2 years now and since a few days I can't really work with 4GB anymore. If I take 2x1GB out, everything runs smoothly, even oc'ed.
Now I don't know wether
a) I'll just get 2x2GB DDR2 and that's it.
b) I'll get a new MoBo with DDR3 support and get 2x2GB DDR3 or even 3x2GB DDR3.

Is it worth to pay an extra 100 Euros for a new mobo just to get DDR3?
I don't want to spend too much money, so new CPU + new mobo + new RAM is not an option right now.
I'm quite happy with the Abit IP35 Pro besides the RAM problem above..

cheers
sap

Can you not leave in 1 stick of RAM in at a time and run a few passes of Memtest86+ to confirm the "RAM gone bad" hypothesis?

Make sure all your settings for your memory ( timings, voltages ) are set correctly as per the manufacturer. Other than that, yes I would test each stick individually. It is either settings, a stick, or a bad slot.

As for upgrading to DDR3 I don't think it is worth the cost. You will be buying a new mobo and memory, this is costly. If you get a new mobo and memory, might as well make the big jump and get a newer CPU as well.

Sorry for the late response, but I didn't have the time to try fixing it before...I worked 2 days with 2GB RAM...that is ok, as long as one doesn't need virtualization like VirtualBox...

Anyways: I didn't and still don't think one of the memory sticks is bad. They are a little bit touchy about the voltage or running on a higher freq, but besides that they seemed pretty good so far.
I replaced the PSU and right now everything seems good.
I'm running 378x9 on the CPU right now with a little increased CPU voltage. RAM is at 2.1V and running with 1:1, so a little under 800MHZ right now. But as long as the system is stable, I'm ok with that :)
Thanks for your suggestions!

Back