• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5LD2-VM questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Austin3334

my friend recently got a old desktop with a P5LD2-VM and a pentium D 915. so we decided to lan a game and his desktop blew hard so i gave him my 5770 and some ddr2 i had laying around and I threw in one of my friends xfired 5870s in mine.
he could now turn up the graphics a good bit but once a lot of units came on the board his cpu was bottle-necking the whole system.

He wants me to upgrade his system so he can be on par with my system.
so would it be worth it to upgrade his cpu to a core 2 duo and oc it, sell him my 5770 (then i'll get a gtx 460), and put in 4gb of ram?

The only core 2 duo is $90 at MC (E7500)
4gb of ddr2 is like 80-100
and my 5770 would sell for like $120

and for the final question i skipped 775 and milked my p4 (478) till the beginning of this year. so i dont know how easy it would to oc. it took me a few hours to oc my 530 to 4ghz and im hoping the core 2 would be similar.

sorry for the long write up but thanks

I don't think that motherboard can support 45nm Intel CPUs.... so that 7500 will not work. He will need the C2D 65nm CPUs (ie 6xxx series). I think the highest CPU he can put in it is an e6750. Just go to Asus's site and look up the board and it will give you a list of support CPUs and what bios revisions you'll need for it to work.

That board doesn't even have PCIe 2.0 spec, so he won't get the full advantage of a current generation video card.

In other words, he won't match up to your PC unless he gets a newer motherboard.... which won't work with the Pentium D CPU series...

well damn i just looked at asus site and your right it doesnt support that c2d. I'll just talk him into an I3 w/ a p55.

thanks for the input

Back