• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how to get enough power?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christoph

JAPH Senior
I'm going to light and power my bong cooler, and I want to do it from my PS. Below are the total volts and amps that the LEDs and fan will require.
The LEDs will take up 20.4V and 120 mA (total), and the fan will use 12V and 450 mA.

Last edited:
I've taken a beginning electronics class, but it was a while ago, and I need a refresher on how to figure out what kind of resistors I'll need.

The fan no problom it only uses .45 of an amp.
The leds however use 20v, not easily achieved
on a power supply with the highest line being 12v.

How many leds are there, are you running them in
series, or parallel? if you are in series, try splitting
them into a parallel and series combos, that way
you will not need a resistor or any other component.

When I tried to order, I found out that Hosfelt changed some of their prices and didn't have everything online that they have in their catalog, so I might have to get creative. Would it be possible to somehow get enough power for 10-15 LEDs ( about 3V and 20 mA a piece) without making a major dent on the power supply? I know that's a lotta volts, but is it also way too much of a draw on my PS?

as far as the amps dont worry they use .02 amps a piece,
not a problom, Here is my idea as far as the leds.

I am sorry about the BMP file but the JPG came out
too blurry.

When you open the picture, you will see that the + is
split into 3 lines, otherwise known as parallel. Then,
their is 4 leds in series on each parallel so the leds
will work on 12v! Their are 12 led lights on this schematic,
but if you add more paralells and keep it 4 in series you
can add more leds in increments of 4, without any resistors.

Parallel is when you have 1 wire that is split into 2 or more.
Series is when power goes from the output of one device, to
the input of another device, thus increasing the voltage
potential.

Thanks YMAN! That sure makes my life easier as far as modding goes. Here's a copy of the picture in .png format. If you do much image editing, it might be worth your while to download the GNU Image Manilulation Program (Kinda like a free photoshop).

Back