• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! Random Shutdowns

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

erictooth

i7-930 @ 3.8ghz 1.175v w/ TR Ultra-120 30C idle 65C max load (realtemp)
EVGA X58 E760
6x2GB Corsair 1600 7-8-7-20-1T @ 1.65v
Sapphire 5850 1GB
X-Fi XtremeMusic w/ OPA627
Antec TP3-650w
OCZ Vertex 60GB
WD Black 1TB

Hi guys, I'd really appreciate any ideas you might have for what's causing my problem here. I have always been able to figure out every problem I've had with my PCs and my friend's, but I just can't seem to solve this. Before I start, it has problems even if it's not overclocked, and it has been running stable at 3.8 since January so there shouldn't randomly be a problem now.

At both stock and overclocked settings, it's Prime95/Furmark/Memtest stable for hours.

A few days ago (no hardware changes in the past 3 weeks) my PC has started shutting down randomly while I'm playing games (like the power is coming unplugged), and then it tries to boot back up on its own. Right away I thought that there was a heat issue, but it has also happened while browsing the web, and sometimes shortly after booting up in the morning.

SEE THE VIDEO:

It's also not a problem with Windows, because if you watch the video you'll see that it reboots before it even finishes the POST sequence. By the way, the BIOS has been update and the problem still persists.

Again, I'm pretty sure it's not a problem with overheating. When it shut off the first time, I immediately thought the CPU hit 100C and shut the PC off to protect itself. But that's definitely not the case. Then I checked the RAM, but even after hours in memtest (where it gets verrrry hot), it never has errors, and the PC never reboots.

The only thing I can think of is that the PSU is going bad. I've had it since 2008 and my PC is usually on for around 14 hours a day. But it bothers me that I haven't found a way to reproduce the problem yet.

Any ideas at all? Anything I could try to reproduce the problem?

Yeah, I think the PSU is most likely the culprit. If you do intend to buy a new power supply, go for a Corsair or Seasonic.

Back