• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help picking 775 motherboard.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deed

A friend has :
Intel Q6600

4GB 2x2 DDR2 800 RAM
1TB SATA 7200RPM 32MB HD
two sli 9800GT 512MB video cards

His motherboard failed and we are looking for a replacement for it. Looking for a good quality one under 100 dollars if possible that could handle the two video cards at full speeds if possible also.

It seems the older 775 motherboards do not have this or similar features compared to the 1366 boards

Nvidia 775 chipsets are pretty terrible. Especially with a Q6600. I still feel the rage mine brought me, 3 or 4 years ago lol.

Whats bad about it heh?

Its a bit dated and their memory controllers suck. They are good boards for mild overclocks, but they fall short of 775 Intel chipset boards in terms of overclocking. They do have SLI though. I still like them, matter of fact I just got back one of my old 680i...running like a champ still. Looking forward to playing around with it.

All my 775 Nvidia chipsets did 3.6ghz with a q6600 G0 for the record. Shoot hard for a 780i though, way better than the 750i.

I'd take my gigabyte s3 with a 965p chipset over my evga 750i board any day for overclocking. However, for gaming and ocing my horrible asus 650i board was pretty good for overclocking. Granted it ate memory sticks.

I thought nvidia made good chipsets because of my awesome nforce2 board. Not so much anymore, or not at all now.

SLI on socket 775 is a crappy place to be. I'd shell out the cash for at least a 1156 board with a decent i5. At least.

Back