• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sub-$280 LGA1366 mobo suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ebug122

I'm looking to upgrade to an i7 930 in the next month or so. What motherboard should I be looking to get with it?

minimum 2-way SLI
RAM will likely be 3x2GB 1600MHz or 2000MHz RAM (upgraded to 6x2GB in a few months)

I've got a Cooler Master HAF 932 so form factor really isn't a big issue.

I'll probably be overclocking the CPU if that helps in the decision making.

I have a MSI SLI Platinum that i have OCed to 3.8 on air with a 920 board runs around 200 dollars. My buddy got the EVGA SLI LE and he seems to like it alot considering it has 3 PCIe x16 slots in it for 3 GPUs mine only has 2. His also has some better OCing settings for the voltage. Hope this helps.

Check out the Asus Rampage 2 GENE. It looks like a really good board for the price. HWBot shows it having a good reputation for overclocking. It will also save you some $$$ over some of the bigger layout boards.

just go to newegg and pick out a board with the layout you want..all of these boards perform about the same...if you are going to do extreme o/clocking then one of the extreme boards is what you would need..ive had 3 x58 boards amd all were so close in performance there was virtually no difference..the cpu determines 90% of o/clocking potencial....mt dfi runs the best imo, a very cool running board and quality components..ill tell u one thing the evga sli le has a hot running northbridge.dfi idle 38c ,evga idle 46-48c...otherwise nice board...asus p6t hot running too in comparison to my dfi board..too bad there lanparty line is dead now....

If there is a Micro Center near you the Gigabyte GA X58A-UD3R is great for $199.99, or the UD5 I believe is around $279 USD. Both OC like a MOFO. I;ve hit 4.6GHz w/HT on my UD3R on water, so the boards are solid.

Don't you also have NCIX? Anyway, The GA X58A-UD3R board is a great suggestion, probably the cheapest board I can think of that features USB 3 and SATA 6 GB/s

Don't you also have NCIX? Anyway, The GA X58A-UD3R board is a great suggestion, probably the cheapest board I can think of that features USB 3 and SATA 6 GB/s
Yep we do have NCIX. It's based in British Columbia though and I'm on the other side of the country. Shipping's usually $7-15

Newegg's got a $10 instant rebate with free shipping so I think I'll get it from there sooner rather than later.

Obviously not a popular choice, but when I first built my i7 rig I had the MSI x58 pro-e mobo. 200 bucks, 3 x pci-e 2.0 x 16 slots, handles up to 24 gb of ram, OC'd my i7 920 to 3.5 ghz with no effort or issues. Thats about the cheapest route you can go and still get some bang for your buck..

Currently on newegg, the model I bought is 170 bucks, the revised model with USB3 is 200 it looks like. Reviews seem to average at 3 out of 5 eggs. It looks like a lot of people didnt like the NB temps. I actually put a small fan on my NB heatsink and it dropped the temp from 70c to 52c.

Last edited:
Back