• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Sennheiser headset safe to buy from Asia on eBay?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

So I'm looking into a new headset, and think I've decided on a Sennheiser PC350. A pair can be gotten for ~$60 on eBay, shipped from various areas in Asia, claiming to be brand new. Which is generally at least half, if not more, than what it costs to get a pair shipped from somewhere in the US. Are these legit headsets, or will I get a knockoff?

You stand a better chance of getting ripped off... Stick to US based sales and go through paypal (buyer protection).

If it sounds too good to be true...

They might be legit, but not the US version, so getting warranty service might be tough :shrug:

You stand a better chance of getting ripped off... Stick to US based sales and go through paypal (buyer protection).

If it sounds too good to be true...

Palpay dosent offer crap for buyer protection unless the person your buying from keeps the money in his paypal account.. i got a little story for ya..

*rant on*
i bought something from a websight, i got automated e-mails saying they recived my payment and the item would be shipped soon.. a few days later nothing no e-mails nothing :confused:... i send an e-mail to the address listed on the web sight.. a few more days later no answer :temper:.. i tryed to call the support number listed on the sight mailbox was full and closed... so at this point i made a ticket on paypal saying the seller was not responding after they tryed to get ahold of him ( they never did ) they said sided wiht me because the seller never responded and they we going to try and get my money back from his accout, about a day or so later they send me and e-mail saying they were unable to recover any funs from this account because his account had no money in it:mad::mad::mad: and that my case was closed and their was nothing more they could do

well i was not happy after getting ripped off for 190$ so i didnt some research :comp: and after a few days i found another website wiht basically the same name execpt for an additonal word at the end registered to the same person but wiht a different paypal/e-mail account.. i dont know if that paypal accout had a different name on it or the same name( but i am guessing it had the same name because of the outcome ) but i reported this to palpay and after a day or two they notifyed me that they were able to recover my money but couldnt tell me from where ( strange i thought the paypal accout that i send money to didnt have anything in it ) so the name on the two accouts must have matched and for some reason they allow him to have multiple accounts, paypal dosent offer as my protection as you think they do, you would be better off using a cc ( most if not all credit card companys can revers a charge ) for any transation you can

*rant off*

Last edited:
Palpay dosent offer crap for buyer protection unless the person your buying from keeps the money in his paypal account.. i got a little story for ya..

*rant on*
i bought something from a websight, i got automated e-mails saying they recived my payment and the item would be shipped soon.. a few days later nothing no e-mails nothing :confused:... i send an e-mail to the address listed on the web sight.. a few more days later no answer :temper:.. i tryed to call the support number listed on the sight mailbox was full and closed... so at this point i made a ticket on paypal saying the seller was not responding after they tryed to get ahold of him ( they never did ) they said sided wiht me because the seller never responded and they we going to try and get my money back from his accout, about a day or so later they send me and e-mail saying they were unable to recover any funs from this account because his account had no money in it:mad::mad::mad: and that my case was closed and their was nothing more they could do

well i was not happy after getting ripped off for 190$ so i didnt some research :comp: and after a few days i found another website wiht basically the same name execpt for an additonal word at the end registered to the same person but wiht a different paypal/e-mail account.. i dont know if that paypal accout had a different name on it or the same name( but i am guessing it had the same name because of the outcome ) but i reported this to palpay and after a day or two they notifyed me that they were able to recover my money but couldnt tell me from where ( strange i thought the paypal accout that i send money to didnt have anything in it ) so the name on the two accouts must have matched and for some reason they allow him to have multiple accounts, paypal dosent offer as my protection as you think they do, you would be better off using a cc ( most if not all credit card companys can revers a charge ) for any transation you can

*rant off*
I got ripped off by a scammer on eBay a while back and paypal refunded my money no problems... I'm not sure why they gave you the run around.

I don't have a problem with them not being under warranty, and I'm not worried about getting ripped off in the sense that I pay and don't get anything in the mail. The only thing I am worried about, is paying, waiting 20 days, only to get a fake Sennheiser headset.

Is there really a difference between the US and non-US version Ratbuddy?

I know the Sony V700DJ headphones have a huge problem with being counterfeited and sold as authentic Sony online, as far as even being sold in the amazon marketplace. I would do a little homework as far as how frequent fakes of that model go before committing because your problem might not be in receiving nothing, but rather receiving a fake.

http://fakeheadphones.com/ here might be a good place to start

edit - a few more clicks led me here. http://fakeheadphones.com/sennheiser-pc350-headphones-newest-victim/06/2010/
if it were me i would stay clear.

moar: http://www.google.com/search?q=Senn...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

I know the Sony V700DJ headphones have a huge problem with being counterfeited and sold as authentic Sony online, as far as even being sold in the amazon marketplace. I would do a little homework as far as how frequent fakes of that model go before committing because your problem might not be in receiving nothing, but rather receiving a fake.

http://fakeheadphones.com/ here might be a good place to start

edit - a few more clicks led me here. http://fakeheadphones.com/sennheiser-pc350-headphones-newest-victim/06/2010/
if it were me i would stay clear.

moar: http://www.google.com/search?q=Senn...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

Exactly what I was looking for. Not buying the $60 Sennheiser PC350's from Asia, thanks :)

slightly off topic but i thought it funny/sorta relevant to the circumstances

Enlist your dogs help to spot a fake said:
I think that is very simple to discover if a pair of Sony MDR-V700 it’s a fake.
You need an Iphone with SiqScopePro, and a dog.
Seriously a dog I’m not joking.

The sony headphones as many others on that price range, has and incredible frequency response, up to 30000 Hz.
The human ear maybe can notice something untill 18000 or 19000 Hz (20000 Hz in very rare cases).
Most of the headphones under 50$ can’t reproduce sounds over 18000-20000 Hz, the higher is the frequency range, the higher is the price of the headphones generally.
Higher is the frequency response of headphones or speakers, higher is the sound fidelity (if you want to know more search for Fast Fourier Transform, and the Nyquist-Shannon theory on wikipedia).
So using a tool like SiqScopePro for Iphone, you can generate a simple tone up to a frequency of 24000 Hz.
Put the plug of your supposed-to-be-fake-headphones and play that tone, you’ll ear nothing.
It’s not a joke, a human ear can’t recognize that frequency, as we said before we can listen to frequencies only under 20000 Hz.
Now it’s dog turn.

Please stop the tone from playing, and put the headphones on of your dog’s ears.
Be aware, dogs can listen to very high frequencies, and very high frequencies are really harmful at high volume!!!
Do not forget that, the dog are helping you, so you don’t need to harm its ears.
Now put the volume lower, start playng the 24000 Hz tone and gently raise the volume until the dog bark, or want to put off headphones. If this happens the headphone is not fake or at least is a good quality headphones.
If the dog hears nothing, you have bought a fake!

I just bought a fake pair of Sony V900's from a Chinese eBayer. I pretty much knew they were fake ($35 vs the $200 I paid for my real ones) - I only needed them for the headband to fix my "real" pair. Sure enough - they were fairly convincing to an un-suspecting consumer - but I could easily tell the difference when comparing the real to the fakes. The fake ones sounded awful (I could tell even before I plugged them in - they have that "Plasticy" sound just when touching them) - but at least the parts were interchangeable (cheaper than getting real Sony parts) :p

And the seller has 100% positive feedback with glowing recommendations from everyone that buys these knock-offs. Clueless!!!

Buyer beware :cool:

This is true, there are a few dodgy brands out there, and a few very cheap products... I purchased a pair of wireless headphones off ebay... $3.00 for the headphones, $9.00 shipping. I previously had a set of Logitech headphones, wired, after a few months, the cabling inside started playing up, so i had to wiggle the wires around to get sound to play from both sides. a few more months and its lost alltogether. Not saying Logitech is a bad brand, just saying what happened. so now those headphones can only play sound out of the right ear, kind of annoying. I also have a pair of ipod earpieces, cord is unbelievebly short. so i decided on the wireless headphones. My headphones aren't for great music, hearing all the notes of a song, getting great quality sound from a game, I have my proper stereo system for that, my wireless headphones are just for at night so I don't wake anyone up.

Really what you also gotta ask yourself is, what will they be used for...
High quality sound? or just some sort of sound?

oh and btw i havn't got my room setup the way i'd like it, but the quality of the headphones might be different, (interferance and all) and if it doesn't improve... yeah i might spend just a little bit more money into my next set lol, but these'll do just fine for now.

And the seller has 100% positive feedback with glowing recommendations from everyone that buys these knock-offs. Clueless!!!

Buyer beware :cool:

That's why I came here to check. Most of the people don't even realize they're getting cheap knock offs, so they leave positive feedback.

Back