• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possibly a new board, experiences, opinions ? EVGA X58 FTW3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

decoste007xt

I emailed a dude about a i7 locally that being sold for $250, its an i7 920 D0 stepping. Never OC'd barely used.

So I found a board also locally, I've never used EVGA as they were always quite expensive, I know they also make video cards but that's about it. I've looked up some stuff, especially reviews but anyone have any personal experience?

This is a brand new never opened evga X58 SLI Motherboard for the Core I7 intel processor.

Normally retails for $284.99 on newegg:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813188065&cm_re=evga_x58-_-13-188-065-_-Product

I emailed a dude about a i7 locally that being sold for $250, its an i7 920 D0 stepping. Never OC'd barely used.

So I found a board also locally, I've never used EVGA as they were always quite expensive, I know they also make video cards but that's about it. I've looked up some stuff, especially reviews but anyone have any personal experience?

Sweet, managed to get the i7 920 D0 for $220 , apparently its a month old, hasnt been OC'd or anything. The Mobo for $200, its apparently never even been out of the box. Up here thats a sound $650 + Tax + shipping, and I nailed it for $420!

good deal. I bought a i7 930 for $200 (Micro Center) and the same mobo from NewEgg. I haven't start them up yet as I'm still waiting for a few more parts to come in.

Not a whole lot of reviews out there for the mobo except on NewEgg. The things that drew me to it was the fact it had USB3.0 and SATA3 for less than other mobos and it matched my build color scheme. I guess I also wanted to try something other than Asus for a mobo.

I left ASUS for Gigabyte, their cheaper and hold up just as strong. I picked up this just because it was $200 and not even openned! We should compare results, mines a i7 920 D0 Stepping, its said some of those rival the 930's. I don't have triple channel memory... yet.

haha, no OC'ed comparos until I get a proper cooling setup. Gonna rock the stock Intel cooler until the weather gets cooler (if that make any sense...) and go liquid-cooled, maybe sooner if I can figure out what the heck I need to buy.

I'll be running triple channel (3x2GB).

I keep reading reports on eVGA mobos running hot (i.e. requiring watercooling). :/

I read the northbridge runs a little hot at 4ghz, but someone stuck a small fan on it. I got my desk setup next to my AC unit so it's naturally sucking the cold air up. My cooling setup is just a V8, ill be ordering some GT's once i get the board/cpu, then go from there... No Watercooling until Christmas I'm afraid. This was an unexpected upgrade. I was going to to be buying a 1055T & Board to upgrade my girlfriends E6600 so she could play Metro2033 & BF BC 2. I saw this setup and had to snag it... now she gets my i5 750 and I get an i7 920 D0 ! =) for practically the same price I was going to blow on a 1055T.

Ordering a Corair H50, wanna see how it performs and if it doesn't out perform my V8 it goes in my gf's machine. x4 R4 120mm Coolmaster fans ($5.50 each) x3 Coolmaster R4 140mm and a NorthBridge cooler with a mini fan on it as I heard these EVGA boards run hot with the northbridge. Also got some G.Skill on the way, $150 for a 3x2GB kit 9-9-9-24 @ 1600mhz.

Got the i7 920 D0 hitting 4Ghz, 200bclk x 20 so far. 1.38V to the vCore and +250mv to the VTT.

Weird but this board doesnt have any power saving states to turn off, you gotta hit delete in under 1 second.. or hit reboot and try again lol.. kind of annoying. The mobo plug was a big pain in the *** to plug in as EVGA decided to have a nice big heatsink right next to the CPU cooler and your normal 120mm exhaust. The heatpipe they had was actually blocking the power connector spot for your mobo power. I had to slightly bend it to push the connector in.

This G.Skill 3 x 2 G 1600mhz 9-9-9-24 kit was running at 7-7-7-19 when i forgot and set it to auto... !!! It also ran at 1980mhz when I had the 9-9-9-24 on. It's the G.Skill Trident and so far its badass as hell!

That Zalman Xtreme 10 I got off him for $40 seems to be cooler a bit better than my V8 was too! Although I'll compare and swap them out as the V8 was cooling an i5 and this Zalman is on the i7 but stressing Prime95 i barely hit 70c with my current settings after 30minutes. My only real complaint is the PCI-E slots, I got 3 of them, but their so close to each other, or far. If i seat the card in slots 1 and 2, its so close that its pushing up my GPU temps by like 12degrees, if i put it one slot down the crossfire connector cant reach.

Also I read a lot of people turn HTing off, I haven't so far, does this increase stability to turn it off, or make it cooler ?

EDIT: I also miss my Gigabyte Board, EVGA will boot, then not post. Then reboot and post and i can benchmark and prime95 and its all okay. But when it doesn't post I got to reset the cmos, convenient button on the back for it though. However Gigabyte boards would boot up even if you didnt post the 2nd time, tell you your OC failed, and to try again. I don't like clearing my CMOS every time, i gotta reput in all of my values which when im going i dont record step by step usually.

Last edited:
Back