• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help buying a new mainboard

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jet5970

I'm planning on buying a new Mainboard and CPU today to replace my MSI GD-790FX and PH2 X4 965BE.

I'm stricted to few Asus boards since that's what avilable in my area for now:

Asus P6T SE
Asus P6T WS Professional
Asus P6X58D Premium
Asus Rampage II Gene
Asus Rampage II Extreme

Which is the best choice cosidring i'll be getting I7-920 and OC it to 4Ghz also i'll be using Tri-Fire setup (Powercolor HD5970 + VTX HD5870), and (maybe i will add Nvidia card as well for PhysX).

Thank you in advance

I really like the Rampage II Exteme, you really need to watch the crossfire compatabiliy with asus, they don't advertise at what speeds they link the GPUs. That being said, you shouldn't have a problem hitting 4Ghz with any of those boards.

Good recommendation, BigTerminator. I really love the MSI big bang, the motherboard comes with a lot of great accessories and it's at a great price (cheaper than Rampage III Extreme). I believe with three cards, it will run as 16/16/8 on the MSI. If you really don't care about the feature of USB 3 and SATA 6 gb/s then my picks would be either the rampage II extreme or rampage II gene.

Edit: Out of the options you've given, the best board is the workstation (P6T WS) board. however, if that's your price range I'd suggest the Rampage III extreme. The workstation board is great, but you're paying for a lot, that you'll never use.

Back