• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA really screwed me.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ratbuddy

I called today to cancel a preorder. The preorder was for a single card at $240. I checked with my bank and no charges had been posted yet. The EVGA rep I spoke to assured me there would be no charge or hold placed on my account, so about an hour later I went ahead and ordered a card from newegg.

Sure enough, charge declined. I went back to my banking site, and EVGA has placed not one, not two, not even three holds on my account.... But *four* holds for $240 each. I had about $310 in the account. This means I can't even buy food or gas until they fix it, since I never keep cash on hand. If the single legitimate hold had been placed on my account, I still would have had access to the rest of my money, and I could deal with waiting for my bank to release the hold, even though when I called EVGA, I was told there would be no charge or hold. Four though?

Nice one, EVGA.

Attachments

• screwedbyevga.jpg
    screwedbyevga.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 528
Wow I've never heard of anything like this happening.

Can you tell your bank to refuse the charge? I would be hounding EVGA and my bank non stop until this was resolved.

Best of luck.

Wow I've never heard of anything like this happening.

Can you tell your bank to refuse the charge? I would be hounding EVGA and my bank non stop until this was resolved.

Best of luck.

My bank said short of me going in and issuing a chargeback (can't get there until Wednesday at soonest), there's nothing they can do. Even if I do, I doubt the money will be in place by Thursday night when we have a mini vacation starting. I called EVGA and the guy said he was just a first level tech and that he would have to email the people who handle billing. He said he was going to put "ASAP" in the email subject :rolleyes:

IF EVGA does what they should do (cancel all my charges and batch out their CC account) today, I should have the money back in time.. If not, I'm gonna have to ask myself...

What would rainless do? :temper:

This actually happened to me with Newegg in the past.

I feel your pain. And my issues were when i was ordering $1500 worth of parts. They got me twice.

This actually happened to me with Newegg in the past.

I feel your pain. And my issues were when i was ordering $1500 worth of parts. They got me twice.

Yeah microcenter got me with a big order once too. Though nothing anyone can (the vendor) or will (the bank) if it's just a hold, they'll wait the 3 days or so for it to fall off.

An EVGA rep did call me back and said basically "Oh well, it'll sort itself out."

No apology or anything. He also confirmed that the quadruple charge happened a half hour after I called to cancel the preorder. Done with EVGA.

An EVGA rep did call me back and said basically "Oh well, it'll sort itself out."

No apology or anything. He also confirmed that the quadruple charge happened a half hour after I called to cancel the preorder. Done with EVGA.

That is messed up, legit reason to file a BBB complaint imo.

Good lord! 4 times!? That is ridiculous, I hope you went over to their forums and posted this too. I was thinking about putting a pre-order on an EE 460.

cancel that.

i cant help but think
when this thing happens
that these companys are looking
to make money off the interest
(or some other benificial reason to hold thousands of customers dough)
for the short term of the hold

ive noticed before that sometimes iam double charged or over charged
and it takes a "few days" to sort itself out
from no fault of mine

disney online did this to me once
and i caught them at it
i will no longer use their website because of it

Good lord! 4 times!? That is ridiculous, I hope you went over to their forums and posted this too. I was thinking about putting a pre-order on an EE 460.

cancel that.

I'm sure they would just erase it..

The charges are still there. My bank said there is no hold time, so if EVGA had cancelled the charges, the money would already be available to me, but it ain't. Now I'm gonna go to the bank, and EVGA is gonna find themselves paying four chargeback fees. Ugh.

BTW, the 1gb EE version is racking up a lot of noise complaints - the fan apparently sucks. It also runs much hotter. That's why I cancelled my preorder in the first place.

This is total bull. My bank can't do a chargeback because the charges are only pending. They actually authorized the first charge, but EVGA said it failed their fraud check - bearing in mind I used the same debit card and info I always use for newegg, amazon, netflix, etc. Billing address matches shipping and everything. EVGA won't do anything, my bank can't do anything, and I'm simply hosed until the pending charges fall off my account.

Seriously, WTF do I do besides bend over and take it?

Sorry for the double post.. Just so pissed off right now :-/

Man, I'm sorry to hear all your troubles, ratbuddy. That really does suck.

I like the suggestion above to go post in their forums about them screwing you around and let everyone see what they are doing to you. I imagine that they will delete the post and probably ban you, but at least some folks will see it before they pull the post. And file a claim with the BBB on them too as well as giving them a highly negative review at Resellerratings.com. Make as much trouble for them as you can. After all, they are making as much trouble as they can with you with their crappy attitude about fixing their charging screwups.

Man, I'm sorry to hear all your troubles, ratbuddy. That really does suck.

I like the suggestion above to go post in their forums about them screwing you around and let everyone see what they are doing to you. I imagine that they will delete the post and probably ban you, but at least some folks will see it before they pull the post. And file a claim with the BBB on them too as well as giving them a highly negative review at Resellerratings.com. Make as much trouble for them as you can. After all, they are making as much trouble as they can with you with their crappy attitude about fixing their charging screwups.

A lot of the times a "grumpy" post over there will get some attention, and sometimes get fixed ASAP. eVga does keep a pretty close eye on their forum. As long as the post is professional and flame-less in it's presentation I doubt they will delete it. Worth a shot.

BTW, the 1gb EE version is racking up a lot of noise complaints - the fan apparently sucks.

I think it might be luck of the draw...? I heard/saw one last night that was quiet as a mouse under load. I ordered mine today.

Im not going to be a noise snob anymore anyhow. Especially with the heat this summer. :)

Back