• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Insulating GTX 480's for water-chilling - can you help?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SWTOR

Registered
Guys,

I am considering a water-chiller for 3 x SLI GTX 480's. I have seen many guides on how to insulate motherboards - information on how to insulate the Fermi card water-blocks is sparse. A couple of questions:

1) The full coverage water blocks for the 480s (I have the Koolance VID-NX480 blocks) do not mount 100% flush with all parts of the card - there are air pockets underneath the mounted blocks. How do you deal with this?

2) Close proximity of cards in SLI does not leave a lot of room for foam-style insulation. Any thoughts on this?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

SWTOR

A chiller for 24/7 operation? Cheers to you and your large nuts for such an endeavor on $1.3k in GPUs!!!

Why not spray it with conformal? I guess the only downside to that is any dripping of condensation..

I have to agree with Earthdog. Do it almost exactly the same as a mobo... Almost. Tape off the tops of components the block touches (gpu, mem) and then conformal front and back. Then when that dries, knead-able eraser the air pockets so you don't get any condensation under the block and when it's all done, I would take some of the foam and paper towels (in layers) and rap the cards similarly to DIce/Ln2 pots. I'll find a picture.

Edit: 0.jpg

Back