• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI RMA sucks now...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
A few months ago when AMD 6 cores first came out, I got MSI 890GXM-G65 with it.

First one died very quickly so I bought another while I waited on RMA. RMA came in a little over a week after I sent in the bad board. I originally planned to sell the freshly RMA'ed board.

Then the second board blew out. Same symptoms. :mad::mad: Swapped the board, got another RMA.

The third board lasted almost a month, then it blew out. :bang head:bang head:bang head

It's a MAJOR PITA to take apart a WC'ed rig to remove bad board as Lan Cool k62 does not support removable mobo tray.

So I bought a Gigabyte board instead and contacted for yet another RMA. The Antec 1000w PSU died when i was about to test my reassembled rig and had to wait on RMA. :mad::mad::mad:

Got RMA number for the PSU and sent it in. Noticed I got no response from MSI. So I resent the info, making sure I got everything correct.

New PSU came in today. Still no word from MSI.

Did MSI give up on me because of frequent blown mobo? They claim the board is made of military quality parts. Yet it seems it can't handle a 6 core AMD CPU. I didn't find much about using this board and AMD 1090t CPU so I don't know if it's an issue or if I was just very unlucky. Or maybe that Antec PSU was killing the board somehow and committed suicide when I got a new board?

All 3 dead MSI board didn't show any born mark, didn't smell like something's burned, and if I powered it up even with bare minimum (CPU, RAM, nothing else) the power would come up then shut down a fraction of a second later.

Really sounds like that PSU was killing the boards, or the boards were actually fine and the PSU was broken. Did you try the 'bad' mobos with a different PSU?

Back