• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III Extreme or GA-X58A-UD9

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
$700?

Gigabyte can GTFO, you'd be better off with the Rampage 3, I've seen that board used by people more than I've seen the Giga one.

I love giga boards, but there is nothing on the ud9 to warrant a 700 price tag. go with the r3e and be happy and value conscious.

The GA-X58A-UD9 is a really nice board, the nF200 bridge is great if you want true 3-way/4-way x16 SLI. Other than that it is quite a high price compared to the R3E for what it offers (imo). Also the XL-ATX form factor with 10 slot requirement limits you to select cases, the R3E should fit most.

Thank you guys for the answer

Asus Rampage III Extreme or GigaByte GA-X58A-UD3R

i'm thinking to buy Intel® Core™ i7-980X Processor Extreme Edition

Last edited:

Havent had a chance to overclock my R3E yet, but some people have had problems getting the bclk past 220. Will let you know when I try overclocking.

Read up on the GA-X58A-UD3R, although I have not experienced it, some boards apparently suffers from coil whine. The GA-X58A-UD5 seems to be the popular choice of the Gigabyte X58 series for value/performance. I would definitely go with the R3E if you are going to get the i7 980X.

R3E seems better choice for this price ... just question if you will oc your cpu on LN2 ? ... if no then you can get UD3R and you almost won't see difference. 980x have unlocked multi so no matter what board you take bclk won't be a limit for oc.

uD9 is more of a bench board...R3E is a bench board IMO aswell...though i have the R3E and its running great...just one down side is it doesnt have dual lan...which comes in handy some times...as for UD9...if ur gonna use the rig just for gaming and everyday use, UD9 aint ur choice...7 pcie slots, nforce, $700...most of the time ur onli gonna use like 400$ of the value...maybe u can go for rampage 3 formula instead of extreme....formula should be a little chepaer

Havent had a chance to overclock my R3E yet, but some people have had problems getting the bclk past 220. Will let you know when I try overclocking.

since he is gonna be getting a sweet unlocked cpu only having a bclk of 220 won't be too huge of an issue. cooling will make the biggest difference on a stable oc.

Back