• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

ASUS P5K SE Overclocking help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

memphian

Registered
Hello, all!

I'm trying to improve the speed of my CPU and memory, and have been having some problems, so I thought I would ask the experts for help. :)

I have a Asus P5K SE motherboard, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 CPU and 2GBx2 of DDR2, PC2-8500 memory (purchased from Crucial). The specs of the memory are as follows: DDR2 PC2-8500 • 5-5-5-15 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 2.0V • 256Meg x 64.

The main problem is that I cannot get the memory to run at faster than 400MHz. I have noticed is that CPU-Z shows this memory as PC2-6400. I have tried changing the timings in the BIOS to the 533Mhz settings, but still only get 400Mhz (or I get an "overclocking failed" message when the computer reboots).

I's also like to get the CPU OC'd to about 3.0 Ghz.

Thanks for any and all help!

Don

At the default FSB of 266MHz, when you change DRAM Frequency to DDR2-1066MHz (1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio), the DRAM timings to 5-5-5-15 (all sub-timings on Auto), and DRAM Voltage to 2.00V, the effective DRAM frequency as shown by CPU-Z is only 400MHz? For a 3.0GHz clock bump the FSB to 334MHz, keep the DRAM Frequency at DDR2-1066 (5:8 DRAM ratio), and leave the Vcore on Auto for the time being.

Last edited:
Redduc900,

Thanks for the reply. So the only two items that I will change from AUTO are the FSB and the DRAM frequency, right? I'll try that when I get home tonight, and let you know what the results are.

Thanks,

Don

Redduc900,

No joy. When I got home last night, I changed the FSB to 334, and the DRAM frequency to DDR2-1069 (that was the choice closest to 1066). The computer rebooted, I logged in (I'm running Windows XP SP3, btw) and the desktop appeared, but no icons were visable. After about 10 seconds, the computer rebooted itself. I let it run through start up, again logged in and the desktop appeared, the icons appeared, but then the mouse froze... and it rebooted. I then went into the setup and changed the DRAM settings to 5-5-5-15 and 2.0 volts, and saved the settings. The computer rebooted and I received an "overclocking failed" message that wanted me to either go back into setup or the default settings would be used. I went back into setup, tried lowering the DRAM frequency (I think it was DDR2-980) and saved. Again, I received the "overclocking failed" message. I went back in and changed everything back to auto and saved, and the computer started normally.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don

redduc900 said:
At the default FSB of 266MHz, when you change DRAM Frequency to DDR2-1066MHz (1:2 FSB : DRAM ratio), the DRAM timings to 5-5-5-15 (all sub-timings on Auto), and DRAM Voltage to 2.00V, the effective DRAM frequency as shown by CPU-Z is only 400MHz?
Could you answer this question for me please? And instead of attempting to boot directly in Windows, boot to Memtest86+ and check the RAM for stability, except this next time bump the DRAM voltage to 2.1V and manually adjust the Vcore to ~1.25V. Also fill out this BIOS template for the P5K SE w/ all of the settings you used at a FSB of 334MHz, while manually adjusting all the options I've included settings for...

Code:
Asus P5K SE Bios Settings
Bios 0901
JumperFree Configuration Settings
CPU Ratio Settings: 9
FSB Strap North Bridge: 333
FSB Frequency: 334
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1069
Dram Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timings:-
CAS# Latency: 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
RAS# Precharge: 5
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
TWR: Auto
TRFC: Auto
TWTR: Auto
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Transaction Booster: Disabled
CPU Voltage: 1.25
CPU GTL Voltage reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 2.1
Clock Over-charging mode: Auto

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 9
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel® Speedstep™ Tech: Disabled

Last edited:
Hi Redduc900,

Sorry.. I mis-read your question as a statement. I'll answer the question and use your settings (separately) when I get home this evening.

Thanks again for the help!

Don

Could you answer this question for me please? And instead of attempting to boot directly in Windows, boot to Memtest86+ and check the RAM for stability, except this next time bump the DRAM voltage to 2.1V and manually adjust the Vcore to ~1.25V. Also fill out this BIOS template for the P5K SE w/ all of the settings you used at a FSB of 334MHz, while manually adjusting all the options I've included settings for...

Code:
Asus P5K SE Bios Settings
Bios 0901
JumperFree Configuration Settings
CPU Ratio Settings: 9
FSB Strap North Bridge: 333
FSB Frequency: 334
PCI-E Frequency: 100
DRAM Frequency: DDR2-1069
Dram Command Rate: 2T
DRAM Timings:-
CAS# Latency: 5
RAS# to CAS# Delay: 5
RAS# Precharge: 5
RAS# Activate to Precharge: 15
TWR: Auto
TRFC: Auto
TWTR: Auto
TRRD: Auto
TRTP: Auto
DRAM Static Read Control: Auto
Transaction Booster: Disabled
CPU Voltage: 1.25
CPU GTL Voltage reference: Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum: Disabled
PCIE Spread Spectrum: Disabled
CPU Voltage Reference: Auto
DRAM Voltage: 2.1
Clock Over-charging mode: Auto

Advance CPU Settings
CPU Ratio Setting: 9
C1E Suppport: Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit: Disabled
Vanderpool Technology: Disabled
CPU TM Function: Disabled
Execute Disable Bit: Enabled
Intel® Speedstep™ Tech: Disabled

Redduc900,

When I make the changes in setup (DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15, 2.0 volts), CPU-Z shows the DRAM frequency at 533.3. I then ran Memtest86+ and it passed.
I then changed the voltage to 2.1 and the vcore to 1.25v and ran Memtest86+ and it passed.

I then went back into setup and used your settings. I could not run Memtest, as right after the reboot, I received a "Overclock failed!" message. I went back into setup, and changed to a FSB of 300 and DDR2-960 and rebooted. Memtest86+ ran fine and passed.

I then bumped FSB to 310 and DDR2 to 992. Memtest failed at the pass 48% level.

I went back and lowered FSB to 305 and DDR2 to 976. Memtest passed at these settings.

Great, right? Nope... when I tried to boot into Windows with these settings, the computer rebooted before the Windows splash screen. I got the "windows did not start normally" option. I selected start windows normally, and after 3-4 seconds the computer rebooted again.

I went back into setup and went with FSB 300, DDR2-960. Same thing... no Windows splash screen, reboot, "windows did not start normally". I set everything back to Auto except DDR2-1066, 5-5-5-15 and 2.00v DRAM, and it rebooted, which is where I am now.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Don

Bump the Vcore to 1.35V, then if you can make it into Windows w/ the settings I posted, open Real Temp to the Settings page and post the VID of your chip. Also... CPU Reference voltage, NB voltage, SB voltage, PLL voltage, and FSB Termination voltage (VTT) should all be on Auto.

Last edited:
Redduc900,

No luck. Using all of your original setting and a Vcore of 1.35V still results in a reboot before the Windows splash screen and a "Windows did not start normally" error.

Don

Assuming you have the DRAM modules installed to both yellow slots in a dual channel config., move them to the two black slots. If you still get a no POST, then try one stick at a time in either the first black or first yellow slot.

No to all three (modules moved to black slots, one module in first black slot, one module in first gold slot). I never reach the Windows splash screen. I don't know if this means anything, but I looked and I have BIOS version 1104, and you have 0901. Would this have any effect?

Well if both sticks fail Memtest while testing them individually, then either see about RMAing both modules or get yourself some new RAM.

Well, I just got that RAM this past Monday. What FSB should I try when I rerun Memtest? 334? Also, I still have my old RAM (Crucial CT12864AA1067.8FE1) (4 1GB PC2-8500U). I tried working with those, but they have a CL=7 and the BIOS won't let me set anything higher than CL=6.

I just ran the two sticks in the black slots, then one stick in the first black slot and then that same stick in the first gold slot, and each time Memtest passed with no errors.

I will try running Memtest again with the two sticks in the gold slots and see what happens. I may have had a setting wrong when I tried yesterday.

Redduc900,

I put both the RAM sticks back in the gold slots, went into setup and used your setting again. The computer rebooted to a "Overclocking failed!" message. I pushed F1 to go into setup again, looked at the setting (didn't change anything) and hit F10 to save and reboot. This time , the system DID reboot and went into Memtest86+, and the tests completed with no errors.

I still cannot boot into Windows (I even tried going into safe mode, but about 4 seconds into the process, as different items are loading, the computer reboots).

Try this... temporarily change the FSB to 400MHz w/ a multiplier of x7.0 = 2.8GHz, w/ DRAM freq. set to DDR2-1064 (2.66 memory multiplier) and timings at 5-5-5-18; 2.0V

DDR2-1064 wasn't available, so I used 960. I used 400 and 7.0 multiplier, 5-5-5-18 and all other settings the same as you gave me the other day. Memtest ran with no errors, and I was able to boot to Windows. RealTemp shows a VID of 1.3250

Now bump the FSB to 430MHz w/ the multiplier still at x7.0, and select a DRAM freq. of 1032MHz. The reason the DDR2-1064 option wasn't available at 400MHz is because the P5K SE utilizes the P35 chipset, so my mistake thinking the 400 NB strap was available (the 333 NB strap is the highest available w/ the P35). The ~DDR2-1032MHz option will be available w/ the FSB at 430MHz (2.40 system memory multiplier), and the FSB Strap to North Bridge at 333. And w/ a VID of 1.325V, make sure Vcore is set to a level that while running Prime the Vcore as shown by CPU-Z doesn't drop below that voltage. If it does, then compensate by raising the voltage until the loaded Vcore is at least equal to the VID. You may also need to start raising the NB voltage from the default of 1.25 to ~1.3V at that FSB.

Last edited:
Back