• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Socket M Mini-ITX board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dooms101

Alright so, I had an only compaq laptop die not too long ago, and I sold off most of it except for an Intel Celeron M 410 (1.46ghz, 533 bus, 1m cache), some DDR2-667 200-pin SO-DIMMs, a mini PCI-e wifi card (full length) and a 60gb HDD. So, instead of buy a new Intel Atom board along with new ram, I thought I'd save some money and use these old parts for my mini-itx build. First off, I was wondering how much of a performance drop I'd have if I use my old parts over an intel atom 510 + intel NM10. But, back to the main question... are there any mini-itx boards with socket m, 2x 200-pin SO-DIMMs, mini PCI-e, and hopefully an extra power source? I've found a few boards but most of them don't have quiet what I am looking for.

Hmm... that Cellery might be a good bit slower than an Atom... certainly no faster (as the Atom is clocked slightly faster, is more efficient per clock cycle, and has HT). At the same time, if it's a newerish chip, it might be able to keep up with an Atom.

I agree that the celeron m 410 is quiet a bit slower than most atoms, especially a d510. I just don't like to see parts go to waste. Also, a socket m motherboard would have the potential for upgrades, like the T7200 which, if I remember correctly, is 2ghz 4mb and a dualie for about $70 on ebay. The major objective here is to try and save money by using my 2x 512mb 200-pin SO-DIMMs on a cheap mini-itx board. I am pretty sure I am gonna just buy one of the atom D510 + intel NM10 boards for about $80 and put some cheap-o DDR2 in it. I am just wondering if the nvidia ION platform is worth it.

Comparing single core to single core, a Yonah at 1.46ghz should absolutely annihilate an Atom.

As far as motherboards, there's a guy on eBay who has a couple refurbished Asus N4L-VM boards available for ~$33 shipped. It doesn't really fit what you're looking for, but given the price I figure it's worth a mention. The trouble is, desktop Socket M boards are generally rare and pricey, so approaching it from a money-saving aspect is not going to get you far.

Well I checked out that board you posted, and it looks alright for the price, but not mini-ITX. Oh well, I think I am gonna be stuck getting an atom D510 board. However, is it worth it getting an ION board?

IMO it is worth getting a ION based D510 or any other core for that matter. unless its the US15 chipset. simply because the ION can handle all the video decoding. if you were to just watch 480P content then using the atoms new included video processor would be fine. any higher resolution for video will not work out so well unless its encoded using Mpeg2 for the video processor to handle. since from what i can find the new atoms video processor cannot do H264 or VC1. only other way to get that kind of decoding is to use a mini-PCIE addin card like this one here
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970012
or this one
http://www.logicsupply.com/products/bcm970015

for the record a 1.4ghz banis = atom 1.6ghz. For the heat-output vs the two i would take a atom, that's just me.

So are those mini-PCIe cards sort of like GPUs? Except they don't handle 3D. Is there anyway I could put a mGPU on a board using mini-PCI like the GT120m's and all those mobile-type GPUs?

well if the board has onboard video, not the add-in nv or ati gpu. it should work with no problem. its like when they started with the add in physic boards, all that coded info when seen is just sent to that device.

Back