• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P6T Melting 24 Pin Connector

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dangerous_Dave

Hi all,

Can anybody help me find out the cause of a problem I'm having with my P6T, which is that it's melted the two +12V connectors on the 24 pin plug from my PSU.

I'm using an i7 920 @ 4.2 Ghz (1.35V), 2x HD5770's in crossfire, and an Antec Truepower Quattro 850W.

I've seen similar things happen with GTX 480's in SLI and with a single 5850 on other threads, with other motherboard and PSUs. Does anybody know why on earth this is going on?

Mobo might be pulling in too much power, also heard about someone on OCN who had an X58 Classified w/ SLi 480's and his 2 of his 24 pins were melted.

That's what I don't know about, you don't have much voltage on the CPU and the cards probably don't use that much power either.

The 24 pin connector from the psu might have had the metal connectors inside the plug not fitting tight enough and causing extra resistance, which would lead to the plug overheating and melting. I had the same thing happen on the 4 pin 12v connector on a Gigabyte board myself, when running a Q6600. I ended up salvaging the connector off of another dead mobo and soldering it on that Gigabyte board and changed out the 12v connector plug off the psu.

On the one hand, you'd think an 850W PSU should be good enough, but thinking a bit deeper about it, it might not be sufficient. The TPQ 850 has 2 +12V rails at 18A or 216W apiece. Your CPU can easily pull far more than that.

I just had exactly the same thing happen with the P6T and TPQ850. Only diff was that I was using crossfire 4860's. This happened about 3 weeks after upgrading to 12G of memory after 10 months of operation. Would be interested to hear of any similar probes.

I just had exactly the same thing happen with the P6T and TPQ850. Only diff was that I was using crossfire 4860's. This happened about 3 weeks after upgrading to 12G of memory after 10 months of operation. Would be interested to hear of any similar probes.

and just what type of probes did you have in mind!? :shock:

Here is an update on this I been working with a tech from ASUS on this issue as well oddly enough their the only manufacture that refuses to accept this issue is not the power supply. Here is a quote from an email from them. By the way this was with a 3 way gtx 470 configuration. Same issue melted 24 pin connector.

"Charles,

I was contacted by the Facebook team and was told of issues with the replacement board. I pulled the call between you and the tech and I realized that you did have it bench tested however I feel your power supply is the issue. Stability, freezing, as well as component overheating is usually caused by power supply’s. Especially with the 24 pin melting that looks like a power supply problem. My recommendation would be testing with a good brand IE Thermaltake, PC Power and Cooling, Corsair, OCZ just to name a few. Since the PSU basically melted the 24 pin connector it also could have caused other hidden issues within the other components as well. I can offer you another X-ship and if you have same issue with that you will know for sure it is not the board but your components. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Best Regards,

Robert"

I got a replacement board from them that not only had the same issue again but also had a PCI ex Lane burnt out in it right from their testing facility.

Back