• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Asus atom powered mobo?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
A friend brought me a messed up Atom Netbook to fix, and I swore I never wanted to see another Atom system. It was so slow I thought I was going to turn into a fossil.

2.2 Ghz you say... Hmmmmm...

Glad to hear you got your rig up and going. Personally I wouldn't bother with an Atom, but then again I'm a bit of a hardware pig. <oink>

Definitely agree, let's see some pics! :D

heres somethin for you guys. fsb set to 1775 for a final speed of 2.1
screenshot-1.jpg
no pics of the actual rig. phone camera is garbage for it. sorry

Last edited:
Glad to hear you got your rig up and going. Personally I wouldn't bother with an Atom, but then again I'm a bit of a hardware pig. <oink>

Definitely agree, let's see some pics! :D

you know i would love a micro atx with an i7 extreme but im on a very limited budget. so i made what i could afford

Pics of the machine would be cool. Slightly off topic, but what's an atom comparable to? P3, P4, Athlon (64, XP)? I'm guessing MHz to MHz it doesn't compare to modern chips like a C2D or whatever.

actually im thinking it does. i had an amd 2.2 that this runs just as well as, hell id bet this even takes less energy :p

The atom is something like a Pentium M or the lower 939 athlon64s in clock/clock efficiency.
Lower then core/core2, but better then P4.

Electrical power consumed wise, it beats most anything.

It gets eaten by core2 stuff, yeah. (The pentium M got reworked a bit and turned into the core cpu, it was waaaaay more efficient then the P4)

The reality is that you don't really need that much CPU power to do everyday tasks.

nah you don't. that lil oc makes a world of difference tho. went from 2.5 hours to convert and burn a movie where i couldnt touch the comp to an hour with cpu 2 spare

It gets eaten by core2 stuff, yeah. (The pentium M got reworked a bit and turned into the core cpu, it was waaaaay more efficient then the P4)

The reality is that you don't really need that much CPU power to do everyday tasks.

Friend has a Dell Inspiron 1545 with a T4500 CPU in it, 3GB of RAM, and 5400 160GB hard drive. It's PLENTY fast for anything he does with it. His dad has a Celeron at 3.4 with less than a GB of RAM, and it runs great for him too. Most people don't need half the processor power they have in their PC. I honestly don't NEED my i7, but it's nice to have when i have the random video to encode or something.

the thing i like best about this build is that it only cost me ~$350. granted i had a few things laying around but none of the essentials.

Back