• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI X58A-GD65

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AD21369

Registered
I am a DSP Hardware Accelerator Freak.
I use a 4000 Dollar soundcard that is packed with 18 x DSP Chips that performs realtime audio synthesis techniques, but after years of purchasing Supermicro, Tyan and Intel, I have decided that years of reading forums with such nifty tricks I should jump in.
In 1998 DSP cards needed the CPU to run code only, so even the 1GHz Coppermine I bought for one large wasn't even necessary.
But in the last 6 years audio applications running off of Native processing instead of hardware accelerated DSP chips grew favor and now today I can actually but a cheap CPU and OC it to achieve immmense memory subsystem speeds and power.
The above mobo has an Easy Switch that I will have re routed outside of my 4U ATX racks so I can adjust it in realtime.
After reading the manual is seems that the speeds are set at a default 133, 166 and 200.
By OC'ing I should have the 3 x switches with custom settings that I can switch back and forth from while performing.
For example, for simple streaming of audio from the HDD's that uses the RAM for storing thousands of target buffers, I can use a default speed.
But once I start adding Native processing, i.e. synths and effects, I will need not only the target buffers for streaming, but faster RAM speeds for the synths and effect.
Then the 3rd option using 200MHz will be for large amounts of audio buffers in RAM, and the fastest IPS rate I can achieve.

I hope others here have this board or at least another MSI where they too might be using the Easy Switch.
Since I pay someone to do my builds as I watch and learn any tips here would be appreciated.
For example, I won't be needing eSATA or RAID, even though I have a SATA RAID cage packed w/ Raptors, and use an SSD for the O.S. + Apps. So disabling several unnecessary functions in the BIOS will be applied.

I will post what I learn when I do the build, and I plane on OC'ing until stability appears shaky, then a small step backwards.

Keep in my I make a living off of stability, so this is a risky venture, especially with such large amounts of RAM and 64bit is used. But after years of watching you chaps screaming around like you have l7 980X's, but using i7 920's and i7 930's I feel confident.

So these endless forum cacklings have had a positive effect.

Thanks For That.

I have the MSI X58 Platinum SLi and I could never get that Easy Switch thingy to work properly. At times the board even failed to boot unless I left it at it's default 133. I overclock the old fashioned and tested true method via bios. Unsure if MSI fixed the problem, but good luck with that.

Just got the DAW back and at stock settings on the CPU and RAM I am blazing through the apps I use w/o even OC'ing yet.
However, the HThreading and TurboBoost have been shut down since they just clog the IPS flow.
Once I get a standard template ( Live Gig project ) I will OC and and then set the Easy Switch which is working according to the builder.
But I cannot have it on the outside of my 4U ATX Chassis for some reason.
This is no biggie as I have it on slide rails, and often pull it out and pop the lid to use some cold air shots on the chips. Sometimes I have to have my rig on stage for 8-12 hours under those 1000 watt Lamps, and things get toasty.
May as well use the switch for when I need those big Orchestral instruments that need the fast RAM and CPU settings.
All in all this board was very stable, and as soon as I get more familiar with the OC and BLCK stuff I will post some stuff screenshots.
Its my first non Intel mobo build, but I am quite happy with it.

Easy Switch is perfect for an overclocking moron like me.
I know my DSP configs and hardware but never played wih the OC stuff very much.
Guess I dont need to now.
The switch goes from 1333 / 3.6 or 200 x 21 @ 4.2GHz, but the down side was the 151 degree tempurature.
I settled for 166 and 3.6 w/ 1333....
Perfect.
Really nice mobo.
Even when the temps looked really hot in the HW monitor I couldn't feel any heat on the X58 of HSF of the CPU.
I just dont need the 4,2 speed though.

Great board if you need 4.2 w/ no skills at allthough.............:soda:

Hey,
I have a problem afterall.
Everything is running fine, and all apps are running perfectly.
However after going to my RAM to check the loads I can only get 8GB's out of 12GB's to be recognized by the OS.
BIOS shows I have all 6 x DIMM's populated and the info looks like this.

3.48GHz (166 x 21 )
996MHz for DRAM frequency
timings on all 6 DIMM's is 9-9-9-24

But it says 8192 RAM available....?

Could this be that the speed of the RAM isn't supported @ 1333MHx or something..?

I guess since the RAM amount of 12GB's is more important than the extra CPU speed, I could go back to 2.8GHz, but that seems really boring.

BIOS and System info both report 8192.
Even though the BIOS shows all 6 x DIMM's populated and thier timings.

Ankyu.......

Last edited:
Back