• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Debating upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
Its been 2-3 years since i upgraded my pc and im pretty gun shy tbh.

Here is the thing a couple years ago i bought this evga - 790I ultra mobo it has been the absolute biggest peice of crap ive ever owned in all my years of building pcs and it cost alot.

I use my pc alot but im out of the loop you could say on the I7 sceen.

I want a Super stable I7 mobo that can do SLI as i wont be upgrading my Dual 260 SSCs for this they perform fine.

I want to be able to overclock stable in the future but i will most likely run stock speeds for awhile after buying it. I need a proven rocksolid mobo with no nasty problems inherited to it.

Im not sure which I7 i want atm still debating on this.

but the Mobo is my main concern atm as ive been burned in the past. this 790 is trash its always been unstable and through 100's hours of tweeking and chaninging voltages atm im running it at stock clocks and it still crashes things from time to time.

Also if you have any ram recomendations Id like to hear them ive had problems with OCZ in the past on their premium ram and am really looking for other sugestions.

I plan on placing a single SSD drive in the system aswell im looking hard at the sandforce drives.

So basically ill be looking for sugestions on

Mobo and Ram first and formost I need this system to be rocksolid i really really dont want another nightmare like ive had with this 790i.

ASUS or Giga, choose your flavor. I think more of ASUS but you pay for it as well. As to memory I would go Mushkin or G.Skill.

I did not mention a particular board because you did not mention your budget.

yea i was thinking asus aswell. even though they also had problems with the 790s ect i think all that fell back on nvidias chipsets tbh.

I dont expect ill be cheap with this setup though archer i want a solid mobo i need SLI from what i see anything that offers sli offers crossfire aswell now? thats good i will probably go ATI in the future if i upgrade my cards.

I dont exactly need dual gb lan never used it on my current board.

sound is also not a big deal to me as im using a asus pcie essence stx audiophile card.

like i said i plan to overclock eventually.

mushkin was always good so if they still have that quality about them i could go that route forsure.

my biggest thing here i want a 100% stable proven platform something i havent had since i got my 790i.

Look into the MSI Big Bang X-Power or perhaps the Asus Rampage III Extreme. I really like GSkill, they also have great customer service, which is a plus.

So between 200 and 400 then? I would say the Rampage as well. I have had great results with G.Skill memory and it will usually run better than spec.

why would i go with ramp 3 Extreme over the Gene

as far as i can tell here. only differences are soundcard which i have a much higher quality one already in pci-e

and Tri sli vs dual sli in which i only have 2 cards to sli. never used my Tri sli on this machine.

any other glaring differences? stability? ocing? ect

I linked the gene and the one I linked was MATX the Extreme III is full ATX and has a few more features.

If you are looking for a normal OC then the GENE would be fine but if you want to go further I believe the Extreme would serve a bit better.

GENE:
Power Design:
- 8-phase CPU power
- 2-phase QPI/DRAM power
- 2-phase NB power
ROG Connect
ProbeIt
iROG
GameFirst
CPU Level Up
MemOK!
Extreme Tweaker
Q-Fan Plus (without thermal sensor cables)
Loadline Calibration
Intelligent Overclocking Tools:
- ASUS TurboV EVO
- O.C Profile
Overclocking Protection:
- COP EX (Component Overheat Protection - EX)
- Voltiminder LED
- ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)

Extreme:
ROG Connect
RC Bluetooth
ROG Extreme Engine Digi+
- 8-phase CPU power
- 3-phase QPI/DRAM power
- 3-phase NB power
- 3-phase Memory power
- ML Caps on CPU, Memory and QPI respectively
ProbeIt
iROG
Extreme Tweaker
BIOS Flashback with onboard switch button
USB BIOS Flashback
Loadline Calibration
ROG Extreme OC kit
LN2 Mode
PCIe x16 Lane Switch
Q_Reset
Double Power Supply with dual 8-pin (CPU) and dual 4-pin (VGA) molex power connectors

The Extreme is better equipped for the wild oc.

yea i think the gene will be all i need machine will be on air so i probably wont go super hard.

sofar im thinking

rampage 3 gene - I7 930 - 60g sandforce drive does ocz still have the performance edge on those drives? .. ram still looking.

Good luck with the build. And update the thread as you go:) As far as the SSD? I always go for more memory because when everything is loaded up my rig is seamless. I prefer slower loads and more consistent running to just fast load times, but gee if I added an SSD to this rig? WOW. NAAH don't need it.

i have a server in my house that has everything on it..

this machine runs prety streamlined.

im in a debate

this

vs

this

50$ differnce

not sure which is the better choice. can i make use of the better timings on the more expensive ram ? hmmm.

TBH the best you can afford when it comes to memory. As far as can you use it, well TBH I only really see the difference in benchmarks and massive transfers or work chunks. Transfer intensive work go with the fastest and for large data chunk manipulation go for the faster.

So basically if you do a lot of data manipulation (render, encode and trans code) get the faster timed and if not (watching moves and some gaming) the 9-9-9 will be fine.

ah see i wasnt sure because with my older machines ram mhz - timings directly effected how my overclocks and stability worked out.

with no fsb on the I7 i wasnt sure how that even played a roll.

Back