• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P55A-UD3 High pitch whine

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xLoSx

Registered
I have a Gigabyte P55A-UD3 motherboard. When I overclock the processor and stress the CPU (intel burn test) the 3 Voltage regulator on the left of the CPU make the worst electrical noise/squeal/screech/high pitch noise. I tried turning off the C states and EiST and even turbo mode and setting a constant voltage but nothing helps. I have the i875k processor if that matters.

Is this a common issue and do I need to RMA my new board? I have had it for about a month (build took a while to get all the parts and time to work on it).

Any suggestions?

I picked up a second motherboard of the same make and model and put it in and still I get a squeal when I overclock! If I leave it at stock then it works.

This one whines a little less but still does it which annoys the hell out of me.. I also tried a different power supply and still same issues.

Anyone have any ideas... Im thinking if I RMA it they will have no problem and then I am still stuck!

Also I spent a bunch on water cooling so I am not leaving this damn chip stock!

its an i875K if that helps.

Coil whine. Basically, the wire loops in the RF chokes are rattling against the ferrite cores. The reason it's only showing up with an overclock is that there's a higher load on the VRM, therefore a higher current going through the chokes.

There isn't anything you can do about it except getting a different model of board.

Would stepping up to a UD4P help at all or should I just go for an Asus instead? or MSI GD65?

Back