• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which cheap uATX x58 board?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Danja

I'm *almost* ready to spend some money to upgrade my computer. I'm gonna pick up the $200 i7 930 at MicroCenter on Saturday, and I'm thinking about what board and 4GB memory to match with it. I'm looking to go as cheap as possible unless there's something really wrong with the cheap boards. Looking at Newegg, the cheapest I can find are the DFI LANPARTY JR X58-T3H6 and the MSI X58M. I've heard of MSI and not DFI, but they seem to have similar reviews and I like green :). Is there anything that puts one board over the other, or another board over both?

Thanks.

A cheap MB may run the CPU just fine but what you sacrifice in performance and potential problems is not worth the savings.

I would have neither of those boards because when you stress them they may go pop. There is no mention of the phase power so they are useless. Gigabyte and ASUS are your best bets.

Alright, point taken. I'm bound by the uATX form factor though. What's the verdict on this combo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.468329

I hear good things about the Asus Rampage but I'm very uneducated about RAM performance. Is this memory worth the price?

edit: Also, the older version of the rampage mobo has an IDE port (saves me having to buy a new optical drive) and a rear eSATA port. It's also $20 more expensive. Are there any advantages that the gene III has over the gene II?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131371

Last edited:
OCZ loves to slap the low voltage sticker on stuff.

Its 1.65v which is "standard voltage" actually according to JEDEC 1.5v is standard meaning its high voltage ram lol

ASUS makes some great products. I never had to RMA an ASUS product until this year and found their RMA process is slow and has absolutely no quality control. The fixed the dimm slot broke the other one and then I had chipset overheating issues as well :crazy:

I do not expect to have to RMA another asus product for 5 years :)

Just looked through some reviews of the R3E... 8 phase to cpu 2 more to chipset (which supplies up to 50W of power to the CPU according to some articles I have read) and decent OCability.

It wont be an OC monster I believe, but should be very long lasting and capable for a mini board.

And you still have the option for dual gpu if you need that in the future.

edit: scuse the typos this laptop sucks

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies guys. I went with the rampage iii as advised. Hopefully it all works.

Back