• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED [Gigabyte X58A-UD3R] Ram issue with 200 bclock

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Merovik

Registered
Ok so I'm overclocking on a X58A-UD3R. I'm using Corsair PC3-12800 (rated for 1600mhz). When I use a bclock of 200 and memory multiplier of x8 (200x8=1600), windows blue screens within 10 seconds of prime95. If I lower the RAM multiplier to x6 then this problem goes away. My question is how can I get this ram to run at 1600mhz stably with a 200mhz bclock.
Voltages are (rest of voltages auto):
vcore: 1.3v
qpi/vtt: 1.3v
dram: 1.65v
ioh:1.3v

Any help appreciated!

:welcome:

Perhaps I missed it but what CPU?

Straight off I would say it is the interaction of the memory controller and the memory at the increased bus and lowered multiplier (it thinks the ram is different speed 133x8=1066 and is applying the timings for it). Try setting timings by hand and it may clear up as BIOS may be setting setting the timings too tight.

Last edited:
Im gonna steal your thread! >)

I have exactly the same problem,

X58A-UD3R

i7 930 CPU

with some Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz CL9 memories 2gig x 4
(CMX4GX3M2A1600C9)

All i get is bluescreens after couple of minutes when i start windows :-(

By default it runs my memories at 1066mhz.

a big thanks for the one with a complete bios setup for my setup=)

Sorry forgot to list the CPU. It is an i7 930 (same as poster above me - coincidence?). Anyways I have already tried setting the timings myself to 9-9-9-24 2T as recommended by corsair for running at 1600mhz. This didn't help :( (although you are correct about it setting the timings too tight if I leave it on auto)

just a quick newbie question, what do 9-9-9-9-24 mean? some basic settings?

when i tried, i changed volts and memory speed to 1600, and kaboom! bluescreens :eek:)

Maybe the key is to clock the memoryspeed to higher then 1600?

Those numbers are latency timings for ram operations. Basically when you increase the ram speed, you need to increase the latencies (or the dram voltage in some cases) in order to maintain stability. If you decrease the ram speed then you can handle tighter timings.

I'm pretty sure the answer to this problem lies in some setting that is being set automatically by the bios (incorrectly) that we need to set manually for a 200 bclock. Because like Archer0915 said the bios does indeed make the timings too tight for 200x8.

What QPI multiplier would you suggest? I think it's at 200x36 if I leave it on auto.

Just lower QPI to minimum to test it out. And another thing; have you got the mem voltage set to 1.65 or is it in auto? For best results in overclocking nothing should be left in auto.

I know in your OP you said it was but is it still that way?

Yeah I have it manually set to 1.65v. Do you think I need to raise it maybe? I know the XMP 1600 is 1.65v so it should be good but I was just curious if a higher bclock than 133 would need a higher dram voltage. Anywho I'm going to try lowering the QPI and see how that goes first.

Another quick question, I'm running at a bclock of 170 at the moment and CPU-Z shows my QPI frequency at 3060 (170x18) but in the M.I.T. current status in the BIOS it shows it running at 6120 (170x36). Any ideas here? The value reported by CPU-Z is closer to my Uncore frequency which according to the BIOS is running at 3400 (170x20).

Another quick question, I'm running at a bclock of 170 at the moment and CPU-Z shows my QPI frequency at 3060 (170x18) but in the M.I.T. current status in the BIOS it shows it running at 6120 (170x36). Any ideas here? The value reported by CPU-Z is closer to my Uncore frequency which according to the BIOS is running at 3400 (170x20).

TBH I really never pay it any attention I just go with BIOS.

Ok I left the QPI at x36 (which was the lowest setting without going into slow mode which is 30mhz I think). However I changed the UnCore multiplier from x20 to x18 and this seemed to fix the problem. Would that make sense? It's my understanding that the UnCore is the memory controller frequency so I suppose with a 200 bclock the ram couldn't keep up with the memory controller. Anyways I have ran Prime95 for 20 minutes so far (was crashing within 10 secs before).

Settings right now:
vcore: 1.3v
qpi/vtt: 1.32v
ioh: 1.3v
dram: 1.65v

bclock: 200
cpu multi: 20
mem multi: 8
qpi multi: 36
uncore multi: 18

I will run Prime95 overnight and post results tomorrow! Wish me luck

Data collision and under runs. I am glad you got it. I kind of thought it was a divider somewhere.

Nice now it is time to tweak:) an OC without a good tweak session is like a Corvette with a V6.

Running Prime95 my core temps max out at ~80c. Does this sound ok? I'm using a scythe mugen 2 rev b. What are the chances it's not seated properly? I should mention the first time I built this PC I didn't seat it right and stock clock temps got to 100c within 10 seconds of 100% load. So the cooler is definitely seated "better" now. Everywhere I read people have different opinions so it couldn't hurt to get another opinion :)

It will run that high but I try to never exceed ~74-75. That is mt number though. TBH that does sound hot. I would reseat and vent the case or move it into a more open area if it is not in one.

Ok reseatted the cooler.. have to let the as5 break in for a while and then we shall see. Couple degrees cooler on idle or maybe that's just me being optimistic.

Back