• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Seagate Warranty Qs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Shelnutt2

Overclockers Team Content Editor
So I've been trying to rebuild a family member's machine after the PSU died. Long story short, now it appears the harddrive was hit too. I looked it up and it's still under seagate warranty until 2012. However there is visible burning damage. From reading the "Seagate Warranty Void Checklist" it says that burning close to the power connector isn't covered. What is your guys opinions on this?

IMG_20100813_105410-smaller.jpeg

Thanks

Is it considered to be an 'external act' versus a 'manufactures defect'?

My opinion? It shouldn't be covered, but it shouldn't hurt to ask. :p

I'm guessing the power supply was a cheap piece of junk but if not try going after them for the HD since that's what fried it.

I would be interested in the results of going after the PSU's company... (If) it is their fault, they should replace it (in a perfect world).

Then again in a perfect world, there shouldn't be bad PSUs in the first place. :blah:

If possible. Go on ebay and see if you can find the exact same PCB for that hard drive. Replace that PCB and your hard drive might start to work, or you should be able to send it in for a replacement since there are no signs of physical damage.

I'm guessing the power supply was a cheap piece of junk but if not try going after them for the HD since that's what fried it.

Actually it was an Antec SmartPower 500w. Just outside of it's 3 year warranty. Would Antec cover anything since the PSU was out of warranty?

I'm chatting with seagate but this guy isn't understand that I'm asking if my warranty is void or not. He just keeps telling me my warranty is good until 2012... Wait he just said I have to call the warranty department. I guess that is what I shall do then.

If possible. Go on ebay and see if you can find the exact same PCB for that hard drive. Replace that PCB and your hard drive might start to work, or you should be able to send it in for a replacement since there are no signs of physical damage.

That actually is a good idea, however it seems the cheapest PCB is $40, I could get a new drive on ebay for ~$25. Plus not I'm sure of the ethics of that. If it's not covered under warranty then it's not covered :-/

Last edited:
Seagate is honoring the warranty and they are giving me an RMA on this :bday:

I defiantly will consider Seagate products over all others just for their service :)

getting RMA =/= getting replacement

Generally they can't tell exactly what's wrong when they get RMA request but when they get it and inspect it (yes they check packing back for safe shipping too!) then they can decide if the problem is covered by their warranty or not.

(insert half empty glass image) I'm inclined to think this may not get covered because it looks like something overloaded, either caused by faulty PSU, bad cables, or external issue like lightening.

getting RMA =/= getting replacement

Generally they can't tell exactly what's wrong when they get RMA request but when they get it and inspect it (yes they check packing back for safe shipping too!) then they can decide if the problem is covered by their warranty or not.

(insert half empty glass image) I'm inclined to think this may not get covered because it looks like something overloaded, either caused by faulty PSU, bad cables, or external issue like lightening.

Well the rep on the phone looked at the chat I just had and pulled up the picture I linked. She said she put a note on my account about this and that it would be processed. She even offered me an advanced RMA. So I'm *hoping* that I will get it replaced. Although I completely see your point of view and it does seem closer to reality :(

Just hope they get it on a Friday at 4pm and don't look at it too close. I'm betting it gets replaced.

Well I've got a tracking numbers and the order shows a new hard drive on it's way to me :D

Back