• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p6x58D-E or Premium? Help on Intel Turbo Boost

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PKgk1

Registered
Is the premium version of the p6x58d worth the upgrade? What are the differences?
The only two notable differences that I've seen are...

Premium has 2 ethernet ports (which I have no need for)
Premium supports intel turbo boost

Are there any other differences (ex. more USB 2.0/3.0, more SATA 3/6)?

My understanding of turbo boost is that it automatically does mild overclocking up to 30% if cooling is good.

If I intend to overclock my i7 930 is turbo boost something worth even paying for?

Any help is appreciated :comp: :)

all the x58 mobos have turbo boost..its designed into the cpu and chipset...the E version is a fine choise if you dont need the extras...you can disable turbo boost from bios ..remember all the x58 boards perform about the same as far as performance..difference comes in on bios and extras.....a 180$ mobo performs just as well as a 300$ board up to 4gigs or so...just pick out a board in your price range that has the layout and features you want...ive had 3 x58 boards in my personal rig and ive built 6 units for customers..ive used the foxconn f/blade in 3 of them...its a nice board..the other 3 were a asus p6t se, giga ud3 and evga x58 sli le....
i benches all these units as i built them at stock and o/clocked to 3.8 and its amazing how they are almost even in scores....
unless your doing massive o/clocks the need for a 300-400$ board is a waste of money..my personal favorite x58 board is the dfi dk x58 T3eH6..runs so good and cool to boot....good cooling is so important on the board and the cpu cooler.....good luck....
also ive stuck away a foxconn flaming blade board just in case the dfi goes bad, just to show you how much i liked the foxconn boards..and for 175$ or so its a good buy.....

all the x58 mobos have turbo boost..its designed into the cpu and chipset...the E version is a fine choise if you dont need the extras...you can disable turbo boost from bios ..remember all the x58 boards perform about the same as far as performance..difference comes in on bios and extras.....a 180$ mobo performs just as well as a 300$ board up to 4gigs or so...just pick out a board in your price range that has the layout and features you want...ive had 3 x58 boards in my personal rig and ive built 6 units for customers..ive used the foxconn f/blade in 3 of them...its a nice board..the other 3 were a asus p6t se, giga ud3 and evga x58 sli le....
i benches all these units as i built them at stock and o/clocked to 3.8 and its amazing how they are almost even in scores....
unless your doing massive o/clocks the need for a 300-400$ board is a waste of money..my personal favorite x58 board is the dfi dk x58 T3eH6..runs so good and cool to boot....good cooling is so important on the board and the cpu cooler.....good luck....
also ive stuck away a foxconn flaming blade board just in case the dfi goes bad, just to show you how much i liked the foxconn boards..and for 175$ or so its a good buy.....

I do intend to overclock (at least 3.7ghz on 930) however when comparing the E and the Premium side by side, premium mentions that it supports intels turbo boost, and E does not. Is this merely a standard and for some reason that wasn't included in the specs of the E?

turbo boost is as they say in the car biz standard equipment, all i7 cpu's have turbo boost..as far as your concerned the non e version just lists it as a selling point...turbo boost works on all the i7 motherboards....

turbo boost is as they say in the car biz standard equipment, all i7 cpu's have turbo boost..as far as your concerned the non e version just lists it as a selling point...turbo boost works on all the i7 motherboards....

Awesome, thanks! Apparently the differences are an extra heat pipe (practically no difference in cooling), two ethernet ports, and some cables like a 4 in 1 USB cable or an E-sata cable. I'm going with the E version. Thanks for clearing up the whole turbo boost thing!
;)

Premium has also reset button onboard ;) ... both are overclocking the same. Most other things are not important and there's no point to pay more for Premium ( when I was buying mine E then Premium price was 40% higher ).

Back