• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which mATX for I5 670

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Headstand

TL;DR

I am trying to put together a mATX box and I have the I5 670, RAM and HDD/SSD already. I am looking at maybe a Lian-li or SG series case, but I am curious about the mobos.

I am a Giga buyer, so unless it is a super board for a super deal, I stick with Giga.

So my question, what mobo do you think will do good with the I5 670. The 3 boards I have been looking at are the H55M-S2H and H55M-UD2 or P55M-UD2H.

I only need 2 RAM slots, so that isn't a factor. Main thing is the video.

I like the H55M-UD2 for the onboard video and HDMI. The P55M-UD2H doesn't have onboard video, so I could just slap a card in it, but I want to utilize the video properties of the I5 670.

I don't fully understand the vieo properties of the 670 and I found this on newegg about one of the mobos.

I apologize for your difficulty with your Gigabyte product.

The cause of your DOA motherbord is caused by your system configuration. Your motherboard model GA-H55M-UD2H supports the "Clarkdale" core processors (i5-600 series) which have a built-in graphics core. You are using an i5-750, which does not have a graphics core, and therefore cannot use the motherboard monitor ports. You must use a separate graphics card installed in the PCIE or PCI slot for your system build. If you decide to install an i5-600 series processor, you may then use the GA-H55M-UD2H monitor ports.

I am sorry that you did not find the details when purchasing the combo deal. We are working with Newegg to highlight this more clearly. Currently on the Newegg website product, click on the Specifications tab, and next to "Onboard Video", it lists "None." I hope this clears up everything.

Gigabyte VIP Support Team

TL;DR

What Giga mATX board should I get for my i5 670. No gaming requirements, just building a new box for the wife.

Thanks!
HS

Not really. Did you see MIAHALLEN's mini-ITX article? With Gigabyte's H55N-USB3 he was able to get up to 4.8GHz (24x200MHz) with his i5 670, and 4.6GHz for 24/7 use. So, the H55 chipset doesn't seem to limit overclocking.

G6950, i3 5xx, and i5 6xx CPUs have IGP. You just have to make sure the IGP is enabled in the BIOS. It looks like the person from that NewEgg review didn't do his homework, and he thought the i5 750 had IGP.

Not really. Did you see MIAHALLEN's mini-ITX article? With Gigabyte's H55N-USB3 he was able to get up to 4.8GHz (24x200MHz) with his i5 670, and 4.6GHz for 24/7 use. So, the H55 chipset doesn't seem to limit overclocking.

G6950, i3 5xx, and i5 6xx CPUs have IGP. You just have to make sure the IGP is enabled in the BIOS. It looks like the person from that NewEgg review didn't do his homework, and he thought the i5 750 had IGP.

I will agree with that with one exception. The H series boards are generally made for the non-enthusiast and will/may lack some of the little things that you can find on the p boards.

really the thing to keep in mind is H has the video ports for the IGP on the cpus, P doesnt. otherwise i would have been suggesting you get a P55M-UD4 board, one of my Fave mATX boards. the UD2 isnt bad but ocing a i7 860 or 870 is a no no on its 4phase pwm.

I think the differences between the p55 and h55 are as follows. p55 has support for raid and crossfire or sli, the h55 doesnt support either but has builtin video

This IMC is half dead, but fairly high Vc isn't a problem on 4 cores or less. I might be a little leery of trying really high OCs with 4 cores+HT like Evil stated above though. I tried over 1.60Vc with maxed Vtt (1.49V set in BIOS) on 4 core without issues though.

I am debating trying another 670 with this thing myself, but not sure yet. Either way, this little board OCs great! Max BCLK is dictated by the chip for sure. Same ~215 on ambient that this proc has always had and max on cold is ~238, which is also the same as it's been on every H55/P55 board I've run it in.

10x and 12x mem multis work well too, which is awesome. 1600/2000/2400MHz mem is no problem at all at 200BCLK.

If you don't need slots galore, RAID, etc. H55N-USB3 is great OCing little board for not a lot of $$ :thup:

I was messing around with it for the hwbot comp and figured I'd post my experience with it so far when I saw this thread (no, these aren't my best times on it) :p

32m_853687.png

32m_719937.png

I didn't have many options on the case over here, so I am starting with the Thermaltake Element Q. This one. It was the only mini-ITX case they had locally. If I don't like it, I will look at some others. It is $65 on Newegg, I got it for about $40 after conversion.

I actually have that case (well it's actually a clone), I'm using it for iSCSI storage: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154091) and it's pretty nice for a cheapie mini-ITX case. Power supply over the socket area pretty much limits you to extremely low profile HS or H20. Some guy actually put an H50 in that case. You can put a 120mm fan on the side where the hard drive usually mounts. Fits like a glove. I did have to reverse the fan on my stock AMD heat sink so it didn't fight the power supply fan.

I didn't have many options on the case over here, so I am starting with the Thermaltake Element Q. This one. It was the only mini-ITX case they had locally. If I don't like it, I will look at some others. It is $65 on Newegg, I got it for about $40 after conversion.

Nice....you're gonna try to get an H70 in there! :eek:
Post a project log in the case mod section :rock:

Back