• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ramapage 3 Extreme + Crucia C300 SSD = no ssd?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JenBell

Hello peoples...not a happy bunny.

Got the new PC built: 980x, 12GB Corsair 2000C8 (6x2GB), Crucial C300 256GB SSD, 2x 1Tb Samsung F3 and Enermax 1250w PSU. Cooling is provided by a temperamental aquaduct 720XT - WB is cuplex kryos HF. BIOS was 0010 (beta) but downgraded to offical 0091 or the most recent official on on ASUS' website.

BIOS is on defaults. I changed 6GB SATA type from IDE to AHCI. Changed boot order of the HDDs/CDROMs - no other changes.

I booted and installed Windows on one of the 1Tb samsung drives but in Windows with all the drivers installed I still cannot see the SSD. I can see the marvel controller detect it in the BIOS and even ctrl+m'ed to the BIOS editing to make sure. It is there. In Win7 x64 I have installed the entire CDROM apart from vantage - still not SSD detected. I did not do a windows updated for OS updates but even installed the raid drivers via windows update (optional install). Still nothing. This brings me the following:

1. BIOS settings should be set to something specific (all drives are all SATA - no IDE) - can someone let me know what they are?:eh?:
2. I am have no idea WTF I should do and just thank god my MBP17" has not let me down (hate it when people say 'touch wood'...eeew...go ahead just not in front me):clap:
3. Gather my inner mana and try again. If that fails...dedicated sata3 controller it is then:chair:

I am happy to trying anything and everything to get this to work.

Oh...one thing...I have only ever plugged the SSD in one 6GB sata port, have not tried the other one.:rain:

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Do I need to do some more configuration? OS is Win7 64bit ultimate.:cry:

Appreciate detailed responses please, where possible.

JenBell (need a cuddle wuddly little kitten...going kitten hunting in the morning)

dposting apologies...so I found a fix. I disconnected the Samsung HDDs. Changed the Sata 3 cable to crucial ssd to the cable u get with the r3e mobo (white/black). Connected it up. Only thing be powered were SSD, 2x CDROM - nothing else. I then loaded BIOS defaults. Then went set stata mode to AHCI for both sata2's and sata3's and left onboard sata controller (jmicron or something), saved restarted and went back into BIOS and made settings stuck. Booted into windows installation, saw ssd ready for formatting. Exited install and re-connected 2x samsung HDDs. Made sure the boot order was maintain with ssd as 1st. Disabled USB boot. CDROM one drive boot (2nd did not show as an option to boot from..strange? Saved, restarted, verified BIOS settings and then went into win install. Ping...Pong!!! Saw all three drives...including the mythical ssd. Now...got other issue. Top of aquaduct is leaking feser. The plate is not fixed properly at the top I think. Will sort this out after few hours sleep. Go to admit...PC is really good on sound...its not silent but its quite enough not be bothersome...using this apollish fan that came with the enermax PSU. I think looks cool but it just makes so much noise compared to the other fans. Now...I think I'll swap it from 120mm silents that are super silent. I cant wait to get stated on OCing this PC and see what it can do...mind u I need to get to grip with the 720xt controls. Need to find a simple...auto...and manual settings like low, medium, medium high...full power...I want to see what the cooling can really do. I know I'm not even pushing it in the slightest.

i had the same problem with mine i fixed it by removing all hdd's except the ssd and then it detected it

once i got win7 up and running while in the operating system i connected all my hdd's back up and rebooted then it detected all the extra hdd's

for some reason it wouldnt boot if i connected the sata hdd's while the computer was off only while when i physically plugged them up while in windows

just for anyone else that might have this problem

don...yep...did a similar thing. HDD wise I have 1x Crucial C300 256GB (OS, currently playing games like crysis, CSS, FM2010/2011), 2x 1Tb Samsung F3 (2nd tier short-term storage, local backup of critical files and folders), 1x 300GB Raptor 10k (fast enough storage for not deemed essential but in use regularly gets stored here, games I play sometimes go here as well like team fortress, ), 2x 500GB Samsung HDDs (use this as short term storage and generally work area for large files). These are the HDDs I am putting inside the case. Still room for expansion but I think it fits my needs. SSD works great and trim is enabled and working. Checked this via the cmd command and via disk defrag util.

hip...Initially I installed the OS on one of my new HDDs and booted win7. From there I formatted the SSD for 4096bytes (4K) for better performance. Deleted previous win7 install and started the actual final win7 install on my 4K partition. None of the other HDDs had partitions apart from the SSD when I installed the OS for real. Once inside windows I created the partitions as required. All HDDs and SSD were activated as GPT and not MBR initially.

Back