• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is it possible to do this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sage0030

the reason why im asking this question I had a guy tell me that he overclocked his intel i7 930 to 7 gig with freon is that even possible? or is this bs

If you get a 1366 cpu right to the very extreme edge of stability the multi that cpuz reports starts bouncing all over the place. CPUz thinks it is correct so it will get "validated", but it is flat out impossible to increase the multi on a locked cpu these days.
That cpu was actually at 5191.83mhz, and the guy is lying.

:comp:this guy talked about how he had to make the voltage higher by running coper or somthing onto his mobo up to like 9.0 or somthing like that. and has like 4 nvidia cards in his computer while cpu overclocked to 7 gigz, I would not believe that untill I see it,

I'm gonna call BS simply due to how Freon is used. Sure, it's today's HVAC units (residential, industrial, commercial, etc) but that's with a rather large surface area to thermal displacement ratio. In my unprofessional opinion, I don't think it would work as the heat transfer medium. Plus, Freon (at ambient) is a gas, but I'll stop rambling. So, ya, BS is my vote.

Impossible. The best overclockers in the world can only take a GOOD 930 to 5.3-5.4 ghz with liquid nitrogen.

It looks like BS to me - the lowest boiling freeon is ca. -81C (vs dry ice at -78C) so I can't see it making any difference.

Plus, Freon (at ambient) is a gas, but I'll stop rambling.

<chemistry nazi>So is nitrogen.</chemistry nazi>

total bs guys amd holds the world record for oc with a cpu they did with liquid helium and they only hit like 6.4

one of our forums members had an amd chip to 6.9ghz at the party. and some chips will do over 7ghz, but it aint the 920 or 930.
total bs, no question at all.

If i recall correctly some motherboards don't actually apply the cpu OC settings until it starts loading the OS, leading to videos like that.

Back