• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antec or Enermax?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mbigna

I'm deciding between these two PSU's for my new rig:

ENERMAX EG465P-VE 431W: $81

or

Antec ATX12V 400W: $73

Prices are Newegg's

Any comments/suggestions are welcome.

Whats your motherboard?

I would go with the enermax, (unless your
board is an epox) or if you got some real cash
a PC POWER & COOLING.

I would go with the entermax because the
cooling system on them is better than that
of an antec, and the power supply is a bit
higher in quality.

I would go with the PC POWER & COOLING,
because they have been known to be better
in all areas.

And I would go with the Antec (I use the 403) as it allows the adjustment of the 5/12v line as well as the 3v line. I am putting 2.3v to the core and have gone as high as 2.35v with the 5v line falling to no less than 4.97 and the 3.3 never falling at all.

My mobo will be a Soyo Dragon Plus with an XP-1800 or 1900+.
It will have 512MB RAM and 2 GXP60's and 2 CD drives. Three case fans (as well as Millenium Glaciator II).

mbigna said:
My mobo will be a Soyo Dragon Plus with an XP-1800 or 1900+.
It will have 512MB RAM and 2 GXP60's and 2 CD drives. Three case fans (as well as Millenium Glaciator II).

Great choice on the mobo, you will be very happy with it. Mine is rock stable, and I don't have any complaints yet (which is odd for me because I can usually find something I don't like about components;)), but that does say loads for this board.
In regards to the power supply, I must agree with Yman, if you've got the cash the PC POWER & COOLING is a nice PSU, but if you don't get that, go with the Antec, Silver hit it on the nose. Adjustability is King in the overclockers toolbox!
Good luck in your overclocking!

Either PSU would be a great choice. Both have their up and downs.

Antec's fault is probably the lack of molex connectors. If you have more than 6 drives/components that need one of their own, you may have some problems. Power splitters would solve this but
1) They're about $4 each
2) They can be inconveinent

Other than that, it's a great PSU. Mine is running great, 5.05 at full load with two HD's, three fans, two CD drives, and three peripherals. Not to mention a burn-in voltage of 1.95. The fan can also be loud if you plug it into the MB.

Enermax seems to be a very good brand. If you get the newer version of their products, you should not have to worry about the warranty. If it doesn't have one, be wary. My main dicrepancy against Enermax is that the power cables are extremly long. If ou have a full tower, you should do fine with it. If you have a Mid or Mini, you will have a whole lot of clutter

Either way should serve you well. With all of the other problems ocing the last thing you need is to have power problems. Get a descent psu and at least you will take that out of the equition (sp).

Go with the Antech. I have not had the best of luck with Enermax 651s. I replaced my second 651 (the first one died in less than 2 months) with a PC Power & Cooling 450 watt unit. It's a lot more stable than the Enermax.

Back