• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Rampage III x16 pci-e question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Don2103

Registered
hi guys hoping you can help i have a asus rampage iii with 2xhd5970's in slot 1&3

so i wanted to get a pci-e revodrive and put it on one of the pci-e 4x slots but before i purchase it i was wandering if it'll effect my video cards in anyway? would it change the config to x16,x8,x4? im having trouble understanding the manual

thanks

well i've got a definitive answer for anyone else that might run into this

The X58 chipset has 40 PCI-E lanes, meaning it won't be affected, as there will be 16x + 16x + 4x = 36x

All X58 have a spare 4x, however once you go over the 40x lanes of power then your 16x will drop down to 8x

Last edited:
Don,

I have been researching the Rampage III Extreme with a RevoDrive X2 (240 Gig) as boot drive for a few days now.
I see lots and lots of complaints on the OCZ and Asus forums about how they do NOT play well together.

What was your experience?

For professional reasons I require a pair of ATI FirePro 2460 512MB PCI Express x16 video cards (8 trading screens) :comp:
so your thread peaked my interest!

Anyone else have experience with a similar set up?

The board has four PCIE x16 slots .... the following applies when you populate the slots with cards :

Two cards - x16/x16;

Three cards - x16/x8/x8

Four cards - x8/x8/x8/x8

Attachments

• RIIIE.jpg
    RIIIE.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 344
Thank you for the clarification Brolloks!
That's the way I read it too, but was hoping otherwise.

Considering my video card requirements (2 slots of X16), I have decided to shop for Sata SSD's instead of the RevoDrive PCI-e's.

-Scuba Steve

Thank you for the clarification Brolloks!
That's the way I read it too, but was hoping otherwise.

Considering my video card requirements (2 slots of X16), I have decided to shop for Sata SSD's instead of the RevoDrive PCI-e's.

-Scuba Steve

lol love the name, Scuba Steve, I used to use this name way back when I gamed online, but I spelled it a little differently. :)

Given that the GPUs are single slot affairs and don't need a lot of cooling they probably don't need a lot of PCIe bandwidth, either. X8 should be plenty for them, really.
With the single-slot-ness of them you can get five PCIe cards in there, x8 x8 x8 x8 and x2(x4? the short black slot).

The wonderful thing about PCIe is that a PCIe16x card doesn't actually require 16x, it'll run on 1x in a 1x slot, 2x in a 2x slot, and so on.

I'm not familiar enough about the specific OCZ ssd to say anything about compatibility, but from a theoretical standpoint two GPUs and two ssds would fit fine into four 8x slots.

Back