• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Who calls this the proper way to ship equipment?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Alright, just ordered a bunch of stuff off newegg, including a UPS and
several hard drives. You would think someone who works at a warehouse for newegg would know something like that would be protected right? Apparently not. I have remove nothing from this box, nothing at all. I open it up and see this:

picture2l.jpg

TWO STRIPS OF PAPER DOES NOT PROVIDE ADEQUATE PROTECTION WHEN THINGS ARE JUST BANGING AROUND IN A BOX. I'll take the time to say the box itself is falling apart and I'm just really frustrated newegg would even consider putting something like this on a delivery truck. Just hope nothings broken. That is all.

/rant off

Some companies give each packer a bunch of stickers and have them put their sticker in each box they pack. Perhaps NewEgg should implement a similar policy...

Stickers? You lost me.

For identifying who packed the box if there is a problem with it.

So, when something like what happened to you happens again, they can figure out who packed the box, and who they need to talk to.

Quality control.

I could see someone using bubblewrap and the ups breaking all the bubbles, but that would leave some evidence, and would be understandable to a certain degree. that is pretty sad.

I can imagine the resume......"line 2 of previous work"="I worked in the shipping department for Newegg.com for the better part of a week"...."my job before that was packing trash in the back of a compactor truck"...."so I may be a little over-qualified for you shipping department".....lol

That's a brutal way to ship hardware, especially with UPS... and a UPS sitting ontop of everything...

The only time I ship breakable things without exorbitant amounts of packaging is when things are being "white-glove" shipped with insurance.

You are right Freakdiablo, they clearly used way too much paper. The box also needs a few holes so the hardware can breathe and acclimate.

Well just got a chance to start taking stuff out. There are casualties.

First, I got a couple fans, one just had a couple scuff marks on the box, the second one appeared to have been opened (Do nexus fans come with their boxes taped closed? Neither one had any type of seal.) But I don't know if this came open during shipping, it may be hard to tell from the pic, but even without taking it out of the box, I could tell three of the four spokes seem to be cracked or broken off:

picture6c.jpg

And I also got a Sempron 140, looks like something hit the side of the box:

picture5q.jpg

Haven't gotten to the stuff I'm actually worried about yet. Probably going to check each hard drive individually either later tonight or tomorrow.

It could be that all the products are already in ship-safe packaging. Consider holding judgement until you actually check if anything is broken.

edit: You posted the pics while I was typing that. No, the fans are certainly not ship-safe.

Looking at the fan box, I do see where it is darker on the insert tab, which may indicate the usage of tape. Take a close look at it.

It could be that all the products are already in ship-safe packaging. Consider holding judgement until you actually check if anything is broken.

edit: You posted the pics while I was typing that. No, the fans are certainly not ship-safe.

Yeah, the UPS is in it's own box, maybe with styrofoam, and I just checked, the drives are in bubblewrapped, but I was going to wait until I tested those before saying anything anyway.

Looking at the fan box, I do see where it is darker on the insert tab, which may indicate the usage of tape. Take a close look at it.

Nope, no tape. Top was just bent over slightly and in shadow so it looked darker.

that is totally unacceptable. i wouldnt touch anything else until the newegg rep sees that mess. theres no way to know how long anything they shipped that way will last. the failure rate youve inherited has doubled at least. personally i would return the lot.

that is totally unacceptable. i wouldnt touch anything else until the newegg rep sees that mess. theres no way to know how long anything they shipped that way will last. the failure rate youve inherited has doubled at least. personally i would return the lot.

Well that'll be a problem since I've already started testing the drives. First two seem fine, testing the third one. Seem to be alright.

ups shoulda been in its own box
and never on top of oem drives and cpus
thats just lame

(wether on top or bottom, there is still alot of room for jostling in that box)

and no bubble or peanuts around the outside of stuff
so it all bangs around
lame too

i woulda just sent it all back
for another try

shenanigans i say someone needs to be checking stuff like that.

i ordered 2 drives and a Radeon card from new egg and they came with lil foam bits alteast

the drives were external and came with consumer packaging but still

Back