• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Newegg Password Reset Scam

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stereo555

Overclocking is music to my soul
Although most of us would be fairly cautious of this type of thing , I thought I should share this info non-the-less :

Newegg Password Reset Scam . http://legitreviews.com/news/8871/

"Newegg Password Reset Scam Becoming Popular
McAfee Labs has detected a new strain of spam in the wild that is not only a sophisticated forgery of a Newegg purchase receipt, but also appears to be abusing Newegg’s own password reset system to further the scam. The spam mail not only mimics the look and feel of a Newegg email, but also forges the RFC 821–received headers to pretend that it originated from Newegg servers. The email contains an HTML attachment that uses obfuscated JavaScript to forward the victim to a domain which attempts to deliver fake anti-virus software or other malware to the recipient. Be sure to give a heads up to anyone that has a Newegg account
!"

(*Maybe the mod's can put this in a more visible area .)

Its up to the mods... But its not a Cyber Deal, it has little to do with the vendor aside from its a virus/malware parading as a newegg email.

I dont know. Im just glad you posted it. You can PM a mod or report the post to move it if you would like. :)

Thanks again!

I have seen this a few times in the last few days. I also have had a few customers getting these as well. I am getting really sick of removing this virus that comes from it though.

If I ever get an email saying my password was reset, I manually go to the website and log in. If it works, my password was not reset. Problem solved.

Back