• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX RMA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CgS Drone

Well finally decided to return my 9800GTX+, for some reason on start up it will throw random characters and every now and then it will flicker a bit when playing and some very minor pixelating. I have had the card in two different systems so I know its none of the equipment and everything exceeds the min. requirements.

Windows seems to load with the card but Linux has an issue with it.

I opened a case today and in the first 30 minutes received a response from them, after sending them the info they needed back about 3 hours later they sent another message with an RMA number attached. Hopefully the rest goes as smooth as it has so far.

I plan to ship it off tomorrow, I will respond back when they decide what they are going to do.

I had a good experience with them and the RMA procedure. Communication seemed a bit lacking after they got the card i sent, which was the 7900+. However after the second card died at around the same length of time with the first one, i decided i would never buy a card from them again. but maybe there is a reason they were the only company (at the time) that produced the 7900+ in agp. Have a good one and best of luck to you!

Yogurt

There's this thread about XFX RMA as well. I'm currently in the middle of an RMA.

8/15: Contacted them for the first time.
8/17: First response from them
8/18: Authorized my RMA
8/23: USPS tracking says they received my card.
8/24: They acknowledged they received my card, and said it'll be passed to the RMA department for testing and diagnosis.
9/1: ... no further response yet.

I miss my 5870 sooo much, I just want it back :(

There's this thread about XFX RMA as well. I'm currently in the middle of an RMA.

8/15: Contacted them for the first time.
8/17: First response from them
8/18: Authorized my RMA
8/23: USPS tracking says they received my card.
8/24: They acknowledged they received my card, and said it'll be passed to the RMA department for testing and diagnosis.
9/1: ... no further response yet.

I miss my 5870 sooo much, I just want it back :(

It shipped on 9/01 guess we will see. I made sure I got delivery confirmation.
I could have done without hearing that lol. It will be interesting to see what they say about mine, its unpredictable when it acts up. It may go a week without an issue then other times it may act up 3 or 4 times in one day. I have had it on two different systems and it did the same thing so I know its none of the other hardware. Hopefully they wont say its fine and ship it back.

It shipped on 9/01 guess we will see. I made sure I got delivery confirmation.
I could have done without hearing that lol. It will be interesting to see what they say about mine, its unpredictable when it acts up. It may go a week without an issue then other times it may act up 3 or 4 times in one day. I have had it on two different systems and it did the same thing so I know its none of the other hardware. Hopefully they wont say its fine and ship it back.

9/2: Finally recieved the update from them. Not what I was wanting:

"We have performed extensive testing on the board you sent in and have not been able to find any issues with it. At this point I am confident that the product is fully functional and the issue you described is not related to the board. We would like to send the board back as it is fully functional. Please let us know if there is anything in particular you would like to have tested before we do so. Thanks"

My card was very finicky as well, not constantly causing problems. As well, I've had an 8800GT in my system for the duration of the RMA, and have not noticed a single issue with it, like my 5870 was giving me :(

9/2: Finally recieved the update from them. Not what I was wanting:

"We have performed extensive testing on the board you sent in and have not been able to find any issues with it. At this point I am confident that the product is fully functional and the issue you described is not related to the board. We would like to send the board back as it is fully functional. Please let us know if there is anything in particular you would like to have tested before we do so. Thanks"

My card was very finicky as well, not constantly causing problems. As well, I've had an 8800GT in my system for the duration of the RMA, and have not noticed a single issue with it, like my 5870 was giving me :(

What do you mean by "finicky" ? Can you explain exactly what it was doing ? Don't let them send it back if you had serious issues with it,but I am not sure what finicky means :p

Here's the original ticket I submitted
"I came home one day to find my monitors with very colorful lines across the screen. I restarted my computer, and the blue windows logon screen was pinkish. Turned my computer off for about an hour, and started monitoring the card closely with Catalyst Control Center. The card is running very hot. Unless I manually turn the fan up to 60 - 70% in CCC, the card will climb up to 70 - 80 degrees while gaming. Activity will constantly show 100% in CCC. It will cause artifacts in certain games, noticed it the most in Fallout 3. Both screens will randomly flicker, and sometimes both will randomly lose video for 2 - 3 seconds. It does happen, albeit infrequently.I`ve uninstalled the drivers, cleaned them out with Driver Sweeper, and reinstalled the latest ATi drivers, but did not fix any issues. Nothing in my system is overclocked at this time, and the card has never been overclocked. "

I used the term finicky since it only artifacts some times, and the screen flickers doesn't happen all the time. The biggest thing which got me scared is the card running so hot, and always staying at full load, even when playing something like World of Warcraft. That game shouldn't stress a 5870 to work at 100%.

The temp thing is weird JS, I have the card that I sent back and it idle's around 45C and max's out around 72C. Yet I have a Zotac 9800gtx+ in here now until I get that one back that idles around 62C and max's out at around 75C and I have no problems with this card.

The one I sent back I can have the system off for a day and then turn it on and the screen will fill with random characters, It seems to like the @ symbol more than others. This is before drivers load up, before it has a chance to even warm up and has done this in two separate systems so I know it has to be in the card, where it does it just whenever is where I figure they will say it did not do it for them and I end up getting it back, no big loss if it is returned I was planning on getting a GTX 460 anyway but would have liked to have had a backup that I knew was reliable.

The temp thing is weird JS, I have the card that I sent back and it idle's around 45C and max's out around 72C. Yet I have a Zotac 9800gtx+ in here now until I get that one back that idles around 62C and max's out at around 75C and I have no problems with this card.

The one I sent back I can have the system off for a day and then turn it on and the screen will fill with random characters, It seems to like the @ symbol more than others. This is before drivers load up, before it has a chance to even warm up and has done this in two separate systems so I know it has to be in the card, where it does it just whenever is where I figure they will say it did not do it for them and I end up getting it back, no big loss if it is returned I was planning on getting a GTX 460 anyway but would have liked to have had a backup that I knew was reliable.

Yeah, if I get it back, and still notice issues, I'll probably eBay the 5870, clearly state I sent it back to XFX, they tested it for over a week, and deemed it fully functional, then pick up like a GTX470 or something.

That sound like a good move, it does look like a video problem for what you said. Are going to test a new video card before you ebay.

That sound like a good move, it does look like a video problem for what you said. Are going to test a new video card before you ebay.

I'll do it one up, going to test it with a fresh Windows 7 install when it gets back next Wednesday (Damn you holiday weekend!!). Don't really want to ditch the 5870, absolutely love the card. But if it's giving me issues, and XFX won't help, don't really have much other choice.

Update, I just got this automated response today. I will let you know what they say in the follow up.

Your recent returns ref: XXXXXX has recently completed the testing process with the following status: {K2H003178 = FAULTY}. A technician will be in contact shortly to discuss completion of this return. If you have any queries regarding this test result - please send a message to the support team. Thank You. XFX Support Team

Now I'm confused lol, I receive another response but I'm not sure how to interpret it. Guessing they are sending a replacement but it could also mean they are returning the original???? I sent back a response asking which one was it.

We have despatched your recent returns ref: XX via www.fedex.com with tracking reference: XXX. If you have any queries regarding this action - please send a message to the support team. Thank You. XFX Support Team

Follow up:

XFX has shipped a replacement card for the 9800gtx+, A HD 4850. I called XFX and was wanting the GTS250 instead since it is suppose to be the direct replacement for the 9800GTX+ however they said that they are no longer making or carrying any Nvidia chipsets 250 or higher. I have always been an Nvidia fanboy guess I will have to make due with the Ati now. :rain:

So I say hurray for XFX for honoring the warranty but :cry: for me because I will miss my Nvidia until I can afford to replace it.

I will see when it shows up, if they send a new one (which they said they did) and not a remanufactured one I may just put it up for sale and and some $$$ and pick up a GTS250. Not sure yet what I will do, I have just had such good luck with the Nvidia's driver wise and hardware wise, its hard to switch from a brand that has served so well even though the reviews say an overclocked 4850 will stick with the GTS250.

Ya I know if they have served you so well why did you send that one back, but I am talking overall I have had really good luck considering all the Nvidia cards I have had to have only had two of them go south on me and one of those was a used one that I bought and it was messed up when I got it (taught me not to buy from strangers when it comes to parts, I took a chance and it didn't pay off but it was cheap).

Back