• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer restarts repeatedly before post! (video)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jakeface1

Hello, today I was on my desktop and it just restarted out of nowhere. I wasnt doing anything but web browsing. The it just kept restarting in a loop until I unplugged the PSU. I tried a different PSU that i have, I took out the CMOS battery several times, and I reset the Cmos with the jumpers. I also tried a variety of RAM.

Here is a video of how fast it restarts.

YouTube- computer restarts constantly!

Whats the deal? My computer doesnt overheat as I check it often. I posted this here because all I can think is that its the motherboard. Can anyone verify?

I am about to change the CPU with an old dual core to see if that might fix it.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Had same issue when building mY PC

I had the same exact thing happened to me when I was building my PC. I had to many things hooked up to one molex plug..d

Temp Unplug Case Fans... and see if that fixes it....

Good luck...

Yep I tried that. I did put in an old e6400 I had and it started up. Looks like my quad is fried :(
I've seen this happen with many Gigabyte boards when you send them in with a RMA and change cpu's the board works fine again.

You should try putting your quad back in and see if it works correctly, because it's usually the gigabyte board that causes the boot looping.:)

I've seen this happen with many Gigabyte boards when you send them in with a RMA and change cpu's the board works fine again.

You should try putting your quad back in and see if it works correctly, because it's usually the gigabyte board that causes the boot looping.:)

I did the best to clean off the q9550 to inspect it and it looks fine. applied new thermal paste and still nothing.

When I loaded with my e6400 I made sure the bios were back to factory, but also I have been swapping the q9550 and the e6400 between machines and this is what I found.

My q9550 in my second computer semi works it spins up but there is no video at all. Also it sounds like the fan is going off full blast on my video card. It does the same thing with the e6400 in there but instead after it hits the bios screen the fans drop down to normal. Then the second thing I did was install the e6400 into the motherboard in question. It starts up fine when the cpu cooler is very loose or off completely, if I tighten it down at all it does the cycling thing or doesnt start up at all. Its very weird. The only thing I can think of is maybe my monster heatsink caused the mount for the cpu to come loose a bit and maybe shorted out the q9550? Im at a lose here.

Wow so the e6400 is giving you trouble now in the original board and the q9550 will start up in another system however you don't receive video.

It is possible the heatsink caused a problem with the Gigabyte socket, however if you send it in they will only test the board with a stock heatsink and it will probably work.

Gigabyte is known for this boot looping problem and some people sending in for RMA's have received the same problem when they receive the same boards from RMA, now I can see why.

It's possible that the Q9550 is damaged however I would do one more test on the other system and make sure it's not just a video card slot installation problem.

It does sound like you have a bad CPU socket you have done some of the best testing on this problem i have seen from boot looping Gigabyte boards. The problem is making sure they will find the socket problem when you RMA.

When your testing you don't need to use new thermal grease just to see if it will start up. Just mount the heatsink up correctly to save time, it won't overheat at all, i do it all the time at work.

Last edited:
Back