• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

p5n 6.3 v fried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

myslik

Registered
I have a p5n asus board was running fine for about 6 hours then a large spark and my computer shut off, upon inspection two little red and white things near the top left of the motherboard by the connections on back are black and burnt. what is wrong why did this happen ./

guessing game?
are the red and white things Animal Vegtable or Mineral ? (nobody is going to get that)
the round red and silver things?
which P5N ? T D VM ??
What was plugged into the USB at the time?
Was anything connected to the firewire ?
what is 6.3v in referance to in your title ?
what is LEFT? to a motherboard?
by "back connections" you mean where you plug stuff in at like the video connection and audio , correct?
6 hours TOTAL ever , as in this is a new build item for you? or 6 hours on this particular day or session?
what was the board mounted to, or was it mounted anywhere?

got any pictures ?

Last edited:
brand new system, only overclock in place was the one from the ai thing from asus. I didnt fiddle with settings completely default it was a new build for my brothers computer, 6 hours into using it playing sc2 and it zapped and fried. heres a picture he sent me via iphone 3gs sorry for quality.

one other thing I noticed while booting his computer up the first time was that the fan over the cpu was not spinning, however I unplugged the computer and jiggled the cord and eventually it started spinning half way through boot up and by this I mean after the case fans were already full tilt and the post beeps had happened the cpu fan began.

photo.jpg

Asus has a 3 year warranty, this is what it's for.
Those are capacitors, btw.

Windows OCing is fine, it's automated OCing (and leaving voltages on AUTO) that is a dubious idea.

guessing game?
are the red and white things Animal Vegtable or Mineral ? (nobody is going to get that)
the round red and silver things?
which P5N ? T D VM ??
What was plugged into the USB at the time?
Was anything connected to the firewire ?
what is 6.3v in referance to in your title ?
what is LEFT? to a motherboard?
by "back connections" you mean where you plug stuff in at like the video connection and audio , correct?
6 hours TOTAL ever , as in this is a new build item for you? or 6 hours on this particular day or session?
what was the board mounted to, or was it mounted anywhere?

got any pictures ?

Reference to the Twenty Questions game? /thread jack

Reference to the Twenty Questions game? /thread jack

Yes 20 questions.

i agree with everything bobnova is saying. its the power regulation area . AUTO overclocking does crasy things with voltage, the AI not being as carefull as humans, and often going overboard. and on this board item there doesnt seem to be "extra" cooling for the power regulation area.

frying traces though and burning actual components in this short of a time , suggests that something else might have happened , like a short somewhere. but then we can leave it to asus to blame the user :)

Back