• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Motherboard Problem?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jimmyjimjim

Hello all,

I just moved from Australia to Taiwan and took my computer parts with me, bought a new tower and reassembled my PC yesterday. Everything was working fine when I went to sleep last night but when I woke up this morning, there is no boot at all.

The standby light on the motherboard turns on (orange) but there is no reading on LED number display to show system status suggesting some sort of error. The power switch on the front panel doesn't work (neither does shorting it at the pins) and the power switch on the mobo doesn't do anything either...

I've stripped the system right back so it's just the PSu and mobo but nothing... same for if I connect extra hardware (ie RAM, HDD, etc...). I even took the mobo out of the case and assembled that way in case there was a short (even though it *did* start last night)...

No POST (obviously)... big sadface... :(((

System
DFI LANparty DK x48
Intel Core2 Duo 2.8GHz processor
4x DDR2 2GB Kingston 833MHz RAM
2x ATI HD4850 512MB (Palit)
Seventeam ST-620PAF PSu (620W)
1x SATA DVDRW
1x IDE DVDRW
1x SATA HDD

I'm thinking fried motherboard? Any suggestions before I go spend money on this?

Cheers.
:fight:

Last edited:
just after frying my motherboard I still got beeps and fans spinning... If you've really got nothing. I'd say try a new PSU. Give the old one a smell... you might be able to smell burnt electronics.

Thanks for the response.

I gave it a good sniff and it smells clean - even dust free (I dismantled and cleaned it with the rebuild). All I've got is that standby power LED on the mobo teasing me... :(

I'll be off to the computer shops in a few hours...

I still don't understand what would've made the PSu poop itself, though... it's only just over a year old, always been in a relatively clean environment (there was only dust on the fan when I cleaned it) and it's rated 100-240V (Taiwan is 110V)... but I suppose the only difference between my system here and in Australia is the input voltage and the new tower...

Last edited:
Ended up taking the PSu to 2 places today to get it tested. There's a bit of a language barrier here as my Chinese is quite limited but the first guy who tested it said it was broken (sparks flew in his PC and the lights in the shop dimmed a little!!!) and I quickly left before he realised he'd surely fried the PC he tested it on.

The 2nd guy (who I bought the tower from) tested the PSu with the proper tools and it worked fine. Fans started spinning and all voltages were in the green.

Taking it in tomorrow to get them to look at the whole tower... fried mobo is going to get up my nose - I bought this motherboard so I could upgrade to an i7 when I could afford it, so if it's anything major I hope it's the CPU...

That makes no sense sparks at one place and fine at the next. That board won't run an i7 if you have that impression.

Made no sense that the whole system should work before I go to sleep and not work when I wake in the morning, either...

As for the i7 processor, yes - I was under that impression. Goes to show what a lack of research can do for you. :(

That confuses me, though... the guy was trying to sell me an i7 when I got the rig put together... even more confusing when I read this: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_socket_size_for_i7_processor and my manual for the mobo says it's an LGA775 socket... so it's not i7 capable? Damn you, wikianswers.

Justifiably feeling like an idiot right now...

I'm sorry, but I have to say that I wish I was there to see those sparks flying and the lights dimming :) I agree with Trap, it makes no sense.

Or the guy you bought it from has faulty testing equipment and/or is feeding you a line of Bull$#@%

The sparks came from the power switch on the front of the case. The sparks flying isn't the confusing bit for me (I don't know what would make sparks fly) - more that it works for one guy and not the other... but I saw sparks.

He opened up the PSu and said something on the inside was broken, then tried to sell me a 500W PSu saying that will do the job after the guy I had build the system in Australia say that I'm only just getting by with a 620W.

Either way, I'm off to the shop I bought the tower from in a little while - I'll let you know what he says...

...and I'm still shaking my head at the no-i7 compatibility. *sigh*

You need a quality 600w from a reputable manufacturer like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic. Also the sockets for i7 chips are S1156 and S1366 you have S775 big difference

Turns out it's the mobo... I have to send it off for repairs and if that fails and I can't replace it, then I need to either find a 2nd hand system or buy new mobo, RAM & CPU because I'm using S775 and DDR2...

I'm kicking myself over this - the dude at the shop where I bought all this from originally insisted that once I put an i7 in this it'll to do this and that...:temper:

I guess it's ultimately my ignorance to blame...

I only bought it to Taiwan with me to save a few $$ on buying a new system... I might as well have sold it in Australia for $20! :cry:

Thanks for the help... I'll update you if there's any exciting revelations.

You're RMA-ing the board to DFI? In the mean time find yourself a decent power supply too after it supposedly sparked or whatever actually occurred I wouldn't trust it.

Yeah, I called them yesterday and they said they'll take a look at it. Of all places to move to and have the motherboard cook, Taiwan has got to be the best place for it to happen! The guy also said it should be still covered by warranty! :) Even if I have to pay for repairs, it's surely cheaper than a whole new system (which I really can't afford just now)

Hopefully a happy ending is on the horizon...

New PSu would probably be a wise idea, too - just to be sure. :salute: Thanks again.

Back