• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Mobo should i get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

V1ralSinner

Hey, I will soon be building my first PC for gaming/media.
This is my future setup *not including a mobo*

-Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
-Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor
-Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
2x - XFX HD-487A-ZWFC Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16
-G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
-Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire

Well I thought I found a Mobo that looked good *can't find the link anymore* it was a Gigabyte Mobo with 3 PCIe slots. I had originally planned to use 1 Graphics card for the 1 monitor and 1 for another but then i found out you can only crossfire with 1 monitor and the whole point of 2 monitors is to play a game on 1 and use iTunes / browse the internet on the other. So, dual gpu ability on a mobo is a concern of mine. I am a 1st time builder so any advice regarding anything that has to do with this build i will take. I'm basically seeking advice what Mobo I should get and what graphics cards I should use with it to support most current games at high settings while also using the other monitor without taking a big hit in performance. Should I get a Mobo with 3 gpu slots dual crossfire on 1 monitor and a weak gpu on the other? or 2 GPU with 1 strong single 1 weak other idk. Any advice will be great, on anything lulz. If you have opinion on a better setup for around same price range etc. Ty in advance. Oh, 1 more thing. Should i just get 4gb Ram or get the 8gb Ram? and is it better to get multiple small sticks or less big ones. Thx again.

P.S
New to forums, if this is in the wrong place let me know or re-direct it ^^

hey - welcome to the forum!!!

1st of all - i think the i5 750 is EOL - the new 760 is 2.8Ghz and the same price - so go for that one!!
and get the 4gb of ram as 2X2gb this will be better for overclocking in the future :)
motherboards : i just built an i5 rig for my mate - it was either (P55) Asus P7P55D (there's a few versions but the "D-E" or the "PRO" are great) or an MSI P55GD65 - or you could go for a gigabyte ud4 p55

we went for the asus one - as it overclocks well!!

as for a gpu - if you're worried that xfire 4870s won't be up to the job of maxxing out games - but want 2 monitors - go for HD5770/5830/5850 or Nvidia GTX460 1gb (very good gpu, just installed my mates, performs well and OCs well!)

Ok so I liked the Asus mobo you made for your friend and i'll go with the 4gb (2x2gb) but im still confused over the GPU. So should I just forget crossfire or SLI and just get 1 good Gpu for the main gaming monitor and 1 cheap for the other? I'd like a good graphics card that can handle most of games at high setting, *doesnt have to be the best cuz im on a budget*. If you were in my position how would you do this / what cards would you get? I'd like the main GPU to stay low $200 at the most preferably less and the other to be able to just handle browsing, instant messaging, listening to music, youtube etc. your basic pc needs. What would you say would be my best bet with these needs and money being somewhat of an issue. Also thank you so much grishenko45 you really helped me out and thx to anyone else who puts there 2 cents into this.

my new build is very similar to the one your describing.

i went with the Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3R its worth checking out.

oh and its blue :rock:

Any of the Asus or Gigabyte boards suggested would work well for you and I've used a couple of them myself for builds without issue.

Well I decided on the Mobo, only thing left is the gpu as I stated above, I guess you guys missed it, its the 3rd post. Thanks though ^^

For the GPU part of it - unless you need the huge resolutions and detail settings that multiple GPUs provide, there's nothing at all that would keep you from using one good GPU for both your 3D gaming and second-monitor needs. Heck, many cards now can support 3-way monitors without any issues at all. Both Nvidia and ATi's drivers will allow for a lot of room to configure 2 or 3 monitors in many ways.

In the $200 price category, the GeForce GTX 460 1GB or Radeon HD 5830 would be the highest-performing options.

So a GeForce GTX 460 1GB can handle majority of the games today at high settings while also playing music on another monitor, chatting and browsing the internet w/o taking a performance hit? If so i'll def get it, or should i get another weak gpu to handle the other monitor? The gaming monitor is an Asus 24" 2ms Full HD 1080p monitor, the other is an Asus 18" 5ms. If I do need another gpu plz suggest the cheapest one that will do the job.

Another thing I was looking at the Geforce GTX 460 since I heard its better than the radeon, and i saw there are some with better clock speeds / shader clocks than others, is this really important? I was looking at the ones on Newegg.com

Well, you can always just overclock them up to the overclocked ones, the ones with higher clocks are factory overclocked. Go with the 1GB version of the GTX 460.

Back