• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LAN problems with MIIIF

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

-RYknow

Hey everyone. I’m hoping someone might be able to give me some suggestions on a LAN issue I’m having with my Asus Maximus III Formula. I’ve tried a new cable, different ports on the router, a second router, reinstalled LAN drivers and I’ve tried flashing the BIOS (started with 1706 and flashed to 1801, and then to 2001.).

If I shut the computer off, unplug it, clear the CMOS and restart, everything works fine. All the lights on the router are lit, activity lights on the port work, and I have internet. As soon as I restart, or shut the machine down is when I lose the LAN port. By lose I mean, the 100 mbps light on my router shuts off, the activity lights on the LAN port itself stop working and I have no internet. I've repeated the clearing the CMOS steps a handful of times, and it works everytime. However, the LAN port will die as soon as I shut the computer off or restart, every single time.

Also, I was running at 3.62. Just for the heck of it I went back to stock clocks. I get the same results no matter if I run the OC, or if I'm running at stock speed.

Any suggestions would be great! I have a feeling my only real option is an RMA. To be honest this board has to be one of the pickiest boards I’ve ever owned. I’m extremely disappointed overall with this thing. But I made the purchase, and don’t have money to switch boards at this point...so I’m kind of stuck....

Thanks in advance,
-RYknow

I had the board and was frustrated at first but once I learned how the board reacts I found it to be one of the best 1156 boards out there.

Your lan issue is strange, I honestly have no idea what could be the problem. I'd call Asus and see what they have to say, or you could disable the NIC in bios and buy and aftermarket card to save yourself the headache and hassle of RMA.

I thought about just throwing another NIC card in and not using the onboard LAN. But at the same time I have to wonder what would go next?

The only thing I haven't tried to do, is reinstall Windows. However, being that it works fine (after a cleared CMOS) up until I shut her down or restart, I think reinstalling Win7 is a waste of my time. Or maybe I'm missing something?

-RYknow

give Asus a call its worth the time.
It could be a cable, have you tried that bios option that tests the quality of the connection?

I am scratching my head on this one

Asus 812.282.2787

I'll give Asus a call. Thanks for the number!

I have the machine dual-booted. Strangely Xubuntu will connect to the internet without issue even when the 100mbps light is off. I can run the cable test utility, but I've already tried three different cables. Would the cable test utility show a LAN port malfunction?

Anyone else able to throw out some ideas, I'm all ears!

Thanks all,
-RYknow

it might dectect an issue I'm really not sure, but its worth a try.
I wish I could be more help but I'm honestly shooting in the dark, maybe you just have a borked OS install if unbuntu is working. If Asus wants to RMA request cross shipping, they ship first so your not without your board and you can use there packaging to ship the other board back.

Cool, I'll just give Asus a shot. I think at this point I would much rather just do the RMA because I feel pretty confident something is broken. I had already thought about the cross-shipping. I don't want to be without the computer, and I hope Asus will help me out with that.

Thanks for your suggestions.

-RYknow

Just thought I would give an update. I managed to fix the LAN issue (or so it seems up to this point). Reformatted, and all seems well. Something screwy happened with Win7 apparently. I'm still not sure why the 100mbps light would be off after rebooting and loading into Linux. But since the reformat, I haven't had any issues as of yet.

So thanks Grnfinger for planting the seed about a possible borked OS. Turns out you were right! :thup:

-RYknow

Back