• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Troubles o/c with gigabyte x58a ud3r

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mptri

disclaimer: i might be an idiot. all my expertise lies in biochemistry and mathematics, so i am a true virgin at this!

hey guys, i was looking for some input on what is going on when i try to overclock:

here are my quick comp specs:
mobo: gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
psu:850 watt
case: haf x
cpu: bloomfield i7 930 w/ xigmatek dark knight heat sink
ram: mushkin enhanced redline 2x3 gb

okay, so i decided to follow the overclockers guide (http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/). this setup was changing from default

1. i began with disabling eist and c1e. i began with isolating the bclock from the cpu. my system, at default, runs between 2.6-2.9 with all temps at 35 or so (134.93x 19-22).

so i decided to lower my multiplier and attempt a 200 mhzx 13.

2. i isolated the bclock from my memory using the 2:6 multiplier.

3. i think changed the ioh to 1.3v (using 1 nvidia pny gtx470). i changed my cpu vtt to 0.2V.

i went with the restart; it was a no go! system wouldn't power up, it just constantly attempted to restart. monitors never registered anything happening, but i watched fans/heatsink/case leds begin/stop repeatedly. i jumped my computer to return to my original bios.

what mistake have i made? i'm looking to overclock to 3.6-3.8 (depending on if i can push it to the latter). i understand nothing about voltages, and im assuming that's my problem.

Assuming your RAM is rated at DDR3-1600, give these settings a try for 3.8GHz, but substitute your RAMs XMP or JEDEC timings and voltage at their rated frequency or lower (I used timings of 6-8-6-24-1T and 1.66V in the template)...

Code:
Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21] 
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disabled] 
CPU Cores Enabled .......................... [All] 
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enabled] 
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disabled] 
C3/C6/C7 State Support ................... [Disabled] 
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable] 
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled] 
Virtualization Technology ................. [Enabled] 
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable] 

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 6.51GHz 
Uncore Frequency ..........................[x16] 2896MHz 
Isonchronous Frequency ...............[Enable]

Standard Clock Control:
Base Clock (BCLK) Control .................. [Enable] 
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[181] 
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100] 

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800] 
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900] 
CPU Clock Skew ............................ [0] 
IOH Clock Skew ............................. [0] 

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard] Extreme
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disabled] Disabledd
System Memory Multiplier (SPD) ........... [ 8] 8
DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD) ............. [Quick] [Quick]

Channel A + B + C

Channel A Timing Settings:
##Channel A Standard Timing Control##
CAS Latency Time ..................[6] 
tRCD ......................................[8] 
tRP ........................................[6] 
tRAS ......................................[24] 
CR..........................................[1] 
B2B........................................[Auto]

Advanced Voltage Control:

Load Line Calibration .................... [Standard] 
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.26250V] 
Dynamic Vcore Adjust (DVID)............[Auto] 
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.275] 
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.800V] 
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[AUTO] 
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[1.100V] 
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[1.240V] 
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[1.500V] 
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[1.140V] 

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.660V] 
DRAM Termination 0.750v.......... [AUTO] 
Ch-A Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO] 
Ch-B Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO] 
Ch-C Data VRef. 0.750v ...........[AUTO] 
Ch-A Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO] 
Ch-B Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO] 
Ch-C Address VRef. 0.750v ........[AUTO]

disclaimer: i might be an idiot. all my expertise lies in biochemistry and mathematics, so i am a true virgin at this!

hey guys, i was looking for some input on what is going on when i try to overclock:

here are my quick comp specs:
mobo: gigabyte ga-x58a-ud3r
psu:850 watt
case: haf x
cpu: bloomfield i7 930 w/ xigmatek dark knight heat sink
ram: mushkin enhanced redline 2x3 gb

okay, so i decided to follow the overclockers guide (http://www.overclockers.com/3-step-guide-overclock-core-i3-i5-i7/). this setup was changing from default

1. i began with disabling eist and c1e. i began with isolating the bclock from the cpu. my system, at default, runs between 2.6-2.9 with all temps at 35 or so (134.93x 19-22).

so i decided to lower my multiplier and attempt a 200 mhzx 13.

2. i isolated the bclock from my memory using the 2:6 multiplier.

3. i think changed the ioh to 1.3v (using 1 nvidia pny gtx470). i changed my cpu vtt to 0.2V.

i went with the restart; it was a no go! system wouldn't power up, it just constantly attempted to restart. monitors never registered anything happening, but i watched fans/heatsink/case leds begin/stop repeatedly. i jumped my computer to return to my original bios.

what mistake have i made? i'm looking to overclock to 3.6-3.8 (depending on if i can push it to the latter). i understand nothing about voltages, and im assuming that's my problem.

the problem is that ga-x58a motherboards are poorly designed and have a high rate of failure. no post/post loops are a common complaint. your motherboard is exhibiting the first signs of failure. you should return it to where you bought and get a different brand because gigabyte does not honor the warranty on these motherboards. when it fails after the return period you will be stuck with a $200 paperweight.

the problem is that ga-x58a motherboards are poorly designed and have a high rate of failure. no post/post loops are a common complaint. your motherboard is exhibiting the first signs of failure. you should return it to where you bought and get a different brand because gigabyte does not honor the warranty on these motherboards. when it fails after the return period you will be stuck with a $200 paperweight.

Thats your opinion. I have only purchased GB boards and have had nothing but success in overclocking.

Thats your opinion. I have only purchased GB boards and have had nothing but success in overclocking.

how many current threads on this forum alone are about gigabyte x58 motherboards that are malfunctioning? post loops, post failures, squealing chokes are the common theme. defective design.

Well, even with the settings (and turning down my clock ratio repeatedly), I'm still having 0 success. If I return this to new egg, what are the suggestions on a different MoBo? Or should I just go for a replacement?

how many current threads on this forum alone are about gigabyte x58 motherboards that are malfunctioning? post loops, post failures, squealing chokes are the common theme. defective design.

The fact is about 75% of the people on these boards don't know how to properly overclock which causes issues. Am i perfect ? No but when sometimes goes wrong do i blame GB? no. I see people on a daily basis running ridiculously high voltage for minimal overclocks so of course things are going to go wrong. I am not saying GB is perfect but in all my years of OC'ing i have only once received a defective GB board. So in my opinion you are wrong.

Well, even with the settings (and turning down my clock ratio repeatedly), I'm still having 0 success. If I return this to new egg, what are the suggestions on a different MoBo? Or should I just go for a replacement?
You're ready to RMA the board and give up because of a few failed overclock attempts? What happened after you inputted the settings exactly as I posted (other than DRAM timings and voltage)... no POST, BSOD, etc.? Either post a direct link to your specific RAM, or post a pic. of CPU-Z open to the SPD tab. Give these new settings a try (190 x 20 = 3.8Ghz), again replacing your RAM's rated timings and voltage as necessary...

Code:
Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [20] 
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Disabled] 
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Enabled] 
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Disabled] 
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enable] 
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Disabled] 
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enable] 

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 6.84GHz 
Uncore Frequency ..........................[x17] 3230MHz 

Standard Clock Control:
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[190] 
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [103] 

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[700] 
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [700] 

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard] Turbo
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disabled] Disabled
Memory Frequency (Mhz).....................:1,520

Channel A + B + C

CAS Latency Time .....................[6] 
tRP ........................................[6] 
CR..........................................[2] 

Load Line Calibration .................... [Standard] 
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.29375V] 
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.280] 
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[1.800V] 
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[1.50] 
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[1.100V] 
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[1.110V] 
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[1.500V] 
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[1.100V] 

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.660V] 

Last edited:

newegg has a thirty day return policy so you have to return before your time is up. i would exchange it for an evga mobo because they have the best customer support. evga has two models of x58 now that have usb3 and sata 6Gb/s. their classified motherboards are a few bucks more and dont have usb3 but they are supposedly great overclockers and they have extra pciex16 lanes into which usb3 cards can be installed.

i suggest either evga x58sli ftw or a classified since you want to overclock your hardware.

if you want to have fun read some of the 1 egg reviews on newegg for gigabyte x58 mobos. most of them describe your exact problem. defective design.

Temporarily change the DRAM timings to 8-8-8-24-2T (all sub-timings on Auto), applying all of the other settings I listed in my last post.

no luck on the most recent setup with 8-8-8-24-2

still the powering issue

i use below values and I'm stable 24/7 including power saving features.

Code:
Advanced CPU Features:
CPU Clock Ratio ................................ [21] 
Intel(R) Turbo Boost Tech ................. [Enabled] 
CPU Multi Threading ..........................[Disabled] 
CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E) ................. [Enabled] 
CPU Thermal Monitor ........................ [Enabled] 
CPU EIST Function ............................ [Enabled] 
Bi-Directional PROCHOT .................... [Enabled] 

Uncore & QPI Features:
QPI Link Speed ..............................[x36] 
Uncore Frequency ..........................[[B]x18[/B]]  - a half of QPI link

Standard Clock Control:
BCLK Frequency (MHz) .........................[195] 
PCI Express Frequency (MHz) ............. [100] 

Advanced Clock Control:
CPU Clock Drive ..............................[800] 
PCI Express Clock Drive ................ [900] 

Advanced DRAM Features:
Performance Enhance .......................... [Standard] [B][COLOR="Red"]Standard[/COLOR][/B]
Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P) ........... [Disabled] Disabled

Channel A + B + C

CAS Latency Time ..................[8] 
tRP ........................................[8] 
CR..........................................[2] 

Load Line Calibration .................... [[B][COLOR="red"]Level 1[/COLOR][/B]] 
CPU Vcore ......................................[1.26250V] 
QPI/VTT Voltage 1.150v .................[1.275] 
CPU PLL 1.800v ..............................[[B][COLOR="red"]1.840V[/COLOR][/B]] 
PCIE 1.500v ...................................[[COLOR="red"][B]1.500V[/B][/COLOR]] 
QPI PLL 1.100v ..............................[1.180V] 
IOH Core 1.100v ............................[1.180V] 
ICH I/O 1.500v ...............................[1.540V] 
ICH Core 1.1v ................................[1.140V] 

DRAM
DRAM Voltage 1.500v .............. [1.640V] 
[/QUOTE]

newegg has a thirty day return policy so you have to return before your time is up. i would exchange it for an evga mobo because they have the best customer support. evga has two models of x58 now that have usb3 and sata 6Gb/s. their classified motherboards are a few bucks more and dont have usb3 but they are supposedly great overclockers and they have extra pciex16 lanes into which usb3 cards can be installed.

i suggest either evga x58sli ftw or a classified since you want to overclock your hardware.

if you want to have fun read some of the 1 egg reviews on newegg for gigabyte x58 mobos. most of them describe your exact problem. defective design.

What do you know, An Evga fanboy is going to tell you to buy a Evga board,:rofl: . You should try to get your facts right. The Gigabyte x58 ud3r board had problems, thats why they dont sell it anymore, you can tell if you have rev.1 board because it has 4 memory slots, there where people who had problems with this board, im sure some of it was there own fault.
The Gigabyte X58A UD3R REV 2 is the same board as a x58 ud5r, with a couple of thing changed, one being the 6 phase power, and no power reset on the board.

Last edited:
I was reading through your settings, and if you set your vtt to 0.2 it wont work, unless that is a type o, and you dont need but 1.1 IHO for a single card.

The fact is about 75% of the people on these boards don't know how to properly overclock which causes issues. Am i perfect ? No but when sometimes goes wrong do i blame GB? no. I see people on a daily basis running ridiculously high voltage for minimal overclocks so of course things are going to go wrong. I am not saying GB is perfect but in all my years of OC'ing i have only once received a defective GB board. So in my opinion you are wrong.

I agree with you, Ive gotten 2 asus, and one bad DFI, I would not go by what the noobs on newegg say. You buy a crappy PSU and you get coil whine:shock:

:blah:

They RMA their boards, just like everyone else.
Im sure all this will get deleted, but i said what i needed to.

Still on this rant, I see.

Both my Gigabyte x58a ud3r boards still running great...guess I was just 'lucky'.

Back