• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New Motherboard Query (Socket 775)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Skerne

Registered
Hi all,

I was wondering if I may ask for your opinions on picking a new motherboard for my system.

I'm a heavy gamer on a budget. Right now I have an Intel Quad Q9550 with 4GB of Kingston Hyper-X 1066mhz DDR2 RAM, running off of a Gigabyte EP45-UD3LR motherboard. Unfortunately, the motherboard is starting to become problematic so i've decided to replace it; not having the funding right now to go up to i7, i'm going to stick with 775 just that little while longer.

I had two motherboards in mind: the ASUS P5Q Deluxe, and the Gigabyte EP45-UD3P. However, as I live in the UK, the EP45-UD3P and any of it's variants are not available here unless I spend a lot of money importing it in. So that would leave the P5Q Deluxe as the only one left.

But before I buy it, I wanted to ask for some opinions. I can buy this motherboard for around £83 new. Would anyone happen to know of any motherboards that could contend with the P5Q Deluxe (and maybe top it?) around the same price range, perhaps a little bit higher (or lower!)? Or is the P5Q Deluxe going to be the one for me?

I like to overclock as far as I can realistically get (with a Megahalems and Scythe 3000RPM fan, maybe add another fan down the line) so that would be a plus in a motherboard. I also don't require CrossFire.

If any other information is needed please let me know. I'm so indecisive about this kind of thing that I thought i'd come seek advice from people who know more of what they're talking about than me!

Thank you for your time.

Unfortunately not. I don't think the board was released here; it's not available anywhere I look, and if it is, it probably isn't worth the extra £50+ premium VS. the P5Q Deluxe just importing it in.

P5Q Deluxe for £83. I love my Gigabyte boards, but unfortunately this time around I just can't get that one.

Thank you, xokeman. I've just taken a look and it seems that that board wasn't released in the UK either (or has just completely ran out of stock everywhere).

The only one I can find is refurbished and even that adds £40 to the price tag. Is it worth that much for a refurb?

The UK never gets the good stuff..

Thank you, xokeman. I've just taken a look and it seems that that board wasn't released in the UK either (or has just completely ran out of stock everywhere).

The only one I can find is refurbished and even that adds £40 to the price tag. Is it worth that much for a refurb?

The UK never gets the good stuff..

I don't think so...to bad you can't just find a used one, but they were rare boards even here in the states. I'm sure the P5q will work well...I just don't have any experience with it. Sorry bud, I'm sure someone around here has used one and will chime in.

I don't think so...to bad you can't just find a used one, but they were rare boards even here in the states. I'm sure the P5q will work well...I just don't have any experience with it. Sorry bud, I'm sure someone around here has used one and will chime in.

That's alright, it was worth a try! Thank you very much for your help. :)

There are used boards around. May take a little while to find it. When you get enough posts to access the classifieds, you might find one.

Would have to be a pretty spectacular board to take my chances and sacrifice the warranty. Is it really that much more superior?

Unfortunately though, 100 posts or not, I don't meet the requirements to use the classifieds. I have no ISP/Military/Education e-mail address, only my own domain's e-mail. Ah well.

That said, I have one final question to ask.

Will the P5Q Deluxe see off my previous motherboard (The Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR)? If i'm going to have to get a new board I thought i'd see if I could upgrade it even by a little, but if my previous motherboard is better suited then I may as well just get a replacement.

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Back