• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Opinion on newegg issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

murdok5

To start off, since 2008, I have spent over 6000$ at newegg. Needless to say, that is where I go for my electronics purchases as I have always had great experience in the past.

Recently, on 8/18 (less than 30 days ago), I purchased as part of a larger order, 2x WD 2tb harddrives. They were 179.99$ each. They are now on sale, for 149.99$ with a promo code of "EMCYXYV29" and the item number is "N82E16822136456". I have checked that that promo code works on that exact item, which was the one I purchased.

I spoke with customer support via chat, and explained that since I am within the 30 days, and since the company that put the item on sale is the same one I purchsed from, it would be nice to be refunded that 60$. I believe this is common policy at most stores, the "Price match within the return timeframe".

I was offered 30$ store credit, which doesnt seem right to me. If i spend that much money there, and I bought something that goes onsale at the same location within the return policy timeframe, doesnt it seem right that I should get a refund?

am I asking for to much? I mean if it was outside of the return period, I wouldnt try.

thanks!

and yes I read on their site:

The price of an item I purchased has dropped prior to shipment. Is it possible to get a refund of the difference?
Newegg does not offer any price guarantees, because industry prices change too often and too fast. If your order has not shipped, you can cancel the order online and re-order to take advantage of the new prices. All prices are as posted at the time of purchase.

however, im more asking for a favor to ensure repeat business, as many other companies practice this type of policy.

and yes I read on their site:

The price of an item I purchased has dropped prior to shipment. Is it possible to get a refund of the difference?
Newegg does not offer any price guarantees, because industry prices change too often and too fast. If your order has not shipped, you can cancel the order online and re-order to take advantage of the new prices. All prices are as posted at the time of purchase.

however, im more asking for a favor to ensure repeat business, as many other companies practice this type of policy.
What else can you say here man.. they dont have to give you anything per their rules, but gave you $30. Cant win them all.

What else can you say here man.. they dont have to give you anything per their rules, but gave you $30. Cant win them all.

Yeah I would consider that a win for you, $30 credit is a hell of a lot better than nothing at all, and more than you can expect from most stores.

Hello Murdok5,

Although we do not offer price protection on the items sold, we certainly can review an order and see if a one time exception can be made. Please contact me at [email protected] or call me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062 with the sales order number or your customer ID to review this order for you.

Best regards,

Newegg.com

I understand your frustration but they didn't have to give you anything because they didn't do anything wrong but out of good faith and to maintain good customer relations they threw some cash your way, that's pretty good in my book. I can't tell you how many times I've been on the receiving end of an item that goes on sale almost immediately after I buy it! :shock: So I usually try to wait for sales but if I need it I just buy it and don't sweat it when it goes on sale. My video cards dropped $75.00 2 weeks after I bought them!

What makes you (or anybody else) special, that you think you deserve to get money back, weeks after purchase? If it went lower the same day or the next day, before you even have it, then asking for the difference is reasonable. Two weeks later is NOT. Everybody knows computer component prices go down over time, parts depreciate quickly, and you don't invest in parts.

Be a reasonable and mature person, and accept the simple fact that your parts have depreciated, and you've theoretically "lost" money (though you have the parts you paid for, so nothing is actually lost) just like everybody else who has ever bought computer parts has "lost".

Last edited:
Yup, despite their interface going near the poopers over the last few months, newegg's customer service saves the day.

basically yes, I was asking for a favor. I was however only asking for a favor while I was within the return policy of the item. Customer service goes along way, and thats why sometimes, even when an item is more money, I shop at Newegg. I shop there because it is convinient, they have good support, easy to return items like I have in the past.

Like I said, I didnt have the parts long, and I AM ONLY ASKING since it was within the return time frame. I believe that to be "reasonable and mature" but asking 2 months, 4, months, or 6 months later, that is unreasonable and not mature. 1 manufacturer placing their item on sale, while all other manufacturers with the same items are not, is not depreciation, its a sale. Depreciation is when they launch the next item, and all last gen items are valued lower.

I worked retail through high school and some of college, and we did that on a regular basis. I have been in IT consulting for 4 years after college. My company only deals with lawyers, and we are all billable people that with our day to day activities influence the client relationship. Have I worked for free to maintain a client relationship? many times, even when its printed, and can easily be argued (to a law office no less) that they need to pay.

Maverick,

I thank you for chiming in, and will gladly send you an email. while no outcome can make me angry, im just having a discussion, I appreciate the willingness to work with the customers.

Yup, despite their interface going near the poopers over the last few months, newegg's customer service saves the day.

X2 on both accounts...I really hate to gripe, but the new look is so terrible. I normally get used to these sorts of changes and get over it...but this one really has my panties in a bunch. Anyways...
deadhorsebeat_2.gif
as far as that goes.

murdok5, keep in mind that if you had returned the items and then reordered them at the price, you would probably still have had to pay a restocking fee. Even if some of us may not like that outcome, i think newegg was pretty fair in giving you some money.

I had a similar situation, where i had ordered an item and it was 50$ cheaper the next day. The item had shipped but i didn't receive it yet at the time i contacted newegg chat support. I asked them if i could get the difference back. They didn't really want to do it, so (i was a jerk and) i said i was going to refuse delivery and have ups send it back. (If you don't open it, you don't have to pay the restocking fee.) They ended up agreeing to refund me the difference.

I can honestly say that out of all the times that i had to deal with newegg support, that was my worst experience and yet it was still a good experience. They have taken care of me on numerous occasions. I must say that newegg has the best support out of any company i have dealt with. :thup: :thup:

Now if they could only do something about that :screwy: horrid website layout.

Issue resolved to beyond my satisfaction thanks to Maverick.

Honestly, this is why when I need to order something, I go to Newegg, search, and buy. I dont search around to save a little money (in the case that Newegg isnt the cheapest).

Making clients happy and taking care of them, that is what keeps a business running, not just the bottom line.

Issue resolved to beyond my satisfaction thanks to Maverick.

Honestly, this is why when I need to order something, I go to Newegg, search, and buy. I dont search around to save a little money (in the case that Newegg isnt the cheapest).

Making clients happy and taking care of them, that is what keeps a business running, not just the bottom line.

You don't search around to sav a little money but then expect the full price difference after two weeks huh? ;) Sounds like you do care about saving a little money :) Not getting on your case or anything but that line stood out and made me chuckle a little.

lol yeah i guess that sounds weird, but the only reason i even saw the price diff was cause it was a newegg newsletter, and i bought it at newegg.... wasnt actively looking to get money back.

Back