• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My first bad experience with Newegg

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wa77ss

Today I had my first bad experience with Newegg, just the shipping part. I opened my package that was shipped 3 day UPS and there is hardly ANY padding below or above my motherboard and CPU (400$ worth of material) in a box that was terribly over sized for the products being shipped. I called customer service immediately to complain because newegg has always overprotected my items if anything, ended up being on the phone for less than 5 mins and as soon as I stated my case a full refund for shipping was issued to my account (a nice gesture, but I would rather just pay money to have items properly shipped!)

Kind of a strange experience because whoever packed that thing must have been a complete idiot. The outside of the box was in good shape but it can't be good for a CPU to be bouncing around for however many hundred/thousand miles it took to get to me.

I just hope the stuff works once I get the rest of my parts :shrug:

1000s of boxes packed and shipped daily, it is unfortunate that yours was not properly packed. They did the right thing in refunding your shipping costs and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to replace any product if it was damaged. If you send a pm to the newegg rep they might try to investigate your particular case to try to isolate the problem so it does not happen in the future.

1000s of boxes packed and shipped daily, it is unfortunate that yours was not properly packed. They did the right thing in refunding your shipping costs and I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to replace any product if it was damaged. If you send a pm to the newegg rep they might try to investigate your particular case to try to isolate the problem so it does not happen in the future.

This is true.

I was pleased with how quickly they decided to help me though, most places I would have gone through a war to get a shipping refund.

I've noticed over the past year or so that packing at Newegg seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. Some orders I've gotten have been well packed and other came much like what you are describing. And I just placed an order for a WD hard drive just a few minutes ago with them, so I guess I will see what kind of packing job they do on the hard drive. And all the packing problems seems to me to be related to when they switched over from using the peanuts for packing material to paper.

Yup definitely a crapshoot IME. I'm sure they cut cost where ever possible and shipping is just another area.

I've noticed over the past year or so that packing at Newegg seems to be a bit of a crapshoot. Some orders I've gotten have been well packed and other came much like what you are describing. And I just placed an order for a WD hard drive just a few minutes ago with them, so I guess I will see what kind of packing job they do on the hard drive. And all the packing problems seems to me to be related to when they switched over from using the peanuts for packing material to paper.

This sounds pretty much on point because I haven't ordered anything in well over a year from them, and everything used to be peanuts as you said. That is really the only way to go for packing IMO

Today I had my first bad experience with Newegg, just the shipping part. I opened my package that was shipped 3 day UPS and there is hardly ANY padding below or above my motherboard and CPU (400$ worth of material) in a box that was terribly over sized for the products being shipped. I called customer service immediately to complain because newegg has always overprotected my items if anything, ended up being on the phone for less than 5 mins and as soon as I stated my case a full refund for shipping was issued to my account (a nice gesture, but I would rather just pay money to have items properly shipped!)

Kind of a strange experience because whoever packed that thing must have been a complete idiot. The outside of the box was in good shape but it can't be good for a CPU to be bouncing around for however many hundred/thousand miles it took to get to me.

I just hope the stuff works once I get the rest of my parts :shrug:

The CPU is a contained unit, no pins, just a bsel pad in a plastic shell. It couldn't have broke from shipping. if it did the box would have told you so before it opened. CPU's are basically the black box of the industry. Maybe the stock heat sink might have been damaged, but who cares about that anyway?

The motherboard is the part I'd of been worried about, usually having many surface mounted components.

Some orders I've gotten have been well packed and other came much like what you are describing..

Same here. Some things that needed very little packing will be packed well enough to survive a game of BasketPackage, and some thing that seem to need very carefull pakaging will have a hunk of paper thrown in the side.

just glad i am not having to work alongside of that person who is having a Bad Day :temper:

It seems that since newegg started using more shipping warehouses these types of problems have multiplied. I would hope that newegg has seen this and is going to do something about it. My last shipments were horribly packed with nothing but the thin paper bs and I know from working at UPS that this type of packing will not get claims paid..ever. This has to become a problem for newegg eventually.

^^^^ I wouldn't hold my breath for improvements. Competent help cost more than almost warm bodies... :cry: More often than not you get what you pay for. If you shop for the lowest price you usually get the lowest quality service too.

Dear wa77ss,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused. This packing is certainly unacceptable. We pride ourselves on providing our customers with the best shopping experience possible and this definitely includes proper packing. I would like very much to speak with you to acquire your specific order details to ensure this isn't repeated and issue a replacement on any items that may require it. You can reach me at [email protected] or call me at 1800-390-1119 ext 25062.

I just received the hard drive I ordered this weekend, wa77ss. It was shipped out of memphis and it was well packed and didn't rattle around in the box. They had the drive wrapped in bubble wrap, then put inside a white box, then that was put into a bigger shipping box along with a pretty decent amount of paper. All in all, an acceptable packing job for my hard drive. I still miss Newegg using the peanuts for packing things in though :(.

Back