• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Zip Zoom Fly Done?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Marshmallow64

It's been awhile but i recently looked back at ZZFs website and to my amazement I noticed how many things were out of stock. Only things left were really old items like a socket 939 cpu.

I knew ZZF was going downhill after seeing a lot of negative reviews, but it looks like they are almost done. Doesn't seem like they are getting anything more in stock. :eh?:

Yeah, seems to me they are following Monarch Computers to bankruptcy. I haven't ordered from them in years because their service has been steradily going down, from reading the reviews at resellerratings.

Yeah, seems to me they are following Monarch Computers to bankruptcy. I haven't ordered from them in years because their service has been steradily going down, from reading the reviews at resellerratings.

The Monarch saga! What a mess that was.

Was wondering why there site looked a little bear.

Think the last thing I ordered from them was my GTX285 last year. They where always good at getting gear out quickly, like newegg, but had limited stock of items. Typically I'd get almost all my gear from 1 place if I could do the majority of the order there.

So it just wasn't me noticing how bare ZZF has become. It has been awhile since I've ordered from them but I never experienced a problem unlike many others.

Besides NewEgg can any of you think of an online retailer that is a solid alternative if need be?

I haven't used ZZF or Mwave lately but I've had good experiences with both over many years. It would be sad to see good companies like these go out and unscrupulous operators succeed by exploiting consumers.

I think their decision to ship many items free Fedex 5-7 day is what cut into their bottom line, unfortunately.

It's truly a pity, they were the only ones that I felt did a good, consistent job with shipping OEM hard drives. With regards to the way other vendors, (possibly aside from someplace like Dell) they've really not done too hot with regards to shipping some items, notably hard drives as I've said. (Looking at you, Newegg.)

It's a bit less of a problem for me, as I have a Frys & Micro Center (sorta) local to me, but for other people that don't have that alternative, where were they gonna get things and not worry about it getting trashed in shipping?

That's perhaps a bit simplistic, and there's always going to be exceptions.

However, other retailers are not always going to be consistent with their shipping practices...Particularly if they get as big as Newegg has. One's probably OK if it ships from California-Less certain if it's from their other warehouses in the US.

Hopefully that didn't get too sidetracked into an offtangent rant, apologies.

Hopefully that didn't get too sidetracked into an offtangent rant, apologies.

It was either tangential, in which case it sort-of branched off the topic, but still connected, or was off-topic, in which case in wasn't connected. I'm not quite sure what off-tangent would mean :)

I've never made multi-item orders from them (I don't associate with the order-it-all-from-one-place-even-if-it-costs-more crowd :p), so I don't know how good their shipping might be in that case, but the CPUs I ordered were all in boxes stuffed quite full of peanuts, none of the we're-too-damn-lazy-to-even-inflate-these-so-we'll-just-toss-them-in-as-flat-sheets-of-plastic air bags and brown paper NewEgg has been using recently.

Unfortunately, ZZF was always the slightly dopey cousin compared Newegg. They weren't able to really beat them in any individual category, and combined they couldn't compete with the scale. I'm not really surprised they went out of business.

Mwave is a good alternative, and over the years they have really upgraded their site. One nice thing about mwave is being able to pick up locally. I think that's part of the reason they are still around...lots of local business in SoCal. I have ordered from Newegg and Mwave over the years and never had an issue. I used to order from ZZF, but that was years ago...

Back