• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

500 watt from CompUSA

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the reply.
But the thread got directed into a discussion on Powmax PS's.
Anything on the FMI's that Comp sells?

I've got an FMI CompUSA 400 watt psu and am pleased with it to this point.

I'm using it with a Epox 8KHA+ / XP1600+@ 1625 (200+MHz FSB)combination. I upgraded to this psu because of the 5v line issue on the 8KHA+ motherboard. This unit has given me stable voltages across the board and I believe it's helped me be able to attain the high FSB's that I've been able to reach as well.

I can't vouch for the 500w unit, but for $59.00, the 400w unit is hard to beat.

My .02

Good Luck!

I use the 500 watt from Comp Usa.

See Sig I have no problems with the power supply.

fuzzba11 said:

Awwwwww...dual XPs!?!? YOU SUCK!!! :D

LMAO I know I know.But after encoding video on my 1.4 at 1.53.And finding it impossible to do anything else.

I had to do something that would allow me to game and encode at the same time LOL.

And the 1.4 at 1.53 still rocks my wife uses it for her email machine not that is funny aint it ?

You got me there. This is the quote from Ed's article:

Antec PP-403X 400W Power Supply: $100 - $30 IR = $70 - $20 MIR = $50. This isn't bad even before the MIR.

At either price, it is a super deal. This is one of the best PSUs available. I've bought two at the full price and even then I did not mind, they're that good.

Hoot

Hoot said:

Antec PP-403X 400W Power Supply: $100 - $30 IR = $70 - $20 MIR = $50. This isn't bad even before the MIR.

At either price, it is a super deal. This is one of the best PSUs available. I've bought two at the full price and even then I did not mind, they're that good.

Hoot

Thank you very much, Hoot!!! :D
I stopped by on the way home and picked one up. Ed's article is correct; compusa web page is wrong.

I walked out paying $75.06 and have to mail in for the $20 rebate; I hate those. BUT, $75.06 is cheeper than I could have gotten it even online from newegg.

Thanks again for the heads up!

Hoot said:

Hoot

Hoot, are you online? You've got pm.

Hoot said:
Jeff, share that PM with the gang here. It is truly unbelievable!

Hoot

ok. Here it is.

NedClocker wrote on 03-06-2002 03:51 AM:
Hoot, you wont believe this; at least I'm not believing it.

I just opened the box and there's an L & C Technology 300 watt power supply in the box. Looks like it's been used.

I'm ****ed off. But even more, I'm worried that they wont want to beleive me and trade it out.

Any tips?

/end quote

MORAL OF THE STORY:

Open it before you leave the check out register.

Last edited:
Looks like some troll pulled the old "switcheroo" on Comp USA and unfortunatly you are the beneficiary. I would go back there and demand a new unit. Politely of course. HEHE
Hope you paid with a credit card.
Condolances.

They swaped it out for me with no problem and no hassel. :D

The manager lady said it was factory shrink wrap. Also said it happens to them sometimes with vid cards.

She figures it must be a bad employee.

Guess what! The next box we opened had a Sparkle ps in it!
But it had been opened.

All's well. PS is installed and running fine. It didn't help me get a better oc though. :confused:

I'll try it in another machine tomorrow.

Thanks again, Hoot.

ocean, Yes, I did pay by credit card.

After you posted your original experience, we were talking about it at lunch and a lot of the PC guys felt that in all likelihood, CompUSA re-shrinkwraps open box returns, often without even looking at what is inside the box. Every one of them had a similar experience with some piece of hardware, either at CompUSA or BestBuy.

Hoot

Maybe. But she did show me one of there shrink wrap boxes and it was very different looking.

Who knows? Just glad I got my antec without a hassle.

i don't know about your store but at the compusa i work at we can't reshrink merhcandise or return to the manufacturer so the employees buy it for 10 bux or so. a coworker got a $600 ipaq for 20 bux!!! got my eye on a 21 inch monitor return in back :)

Back