• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Mail In Rebates

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ChanceCoats123

d20 in a jacket
I was just reading through the ZipZoomFly thread, and this upset me a little.

Why is it that these big companies and e-tailers aren't held accountable for our hard-earned money? After all, people are required by law to pay back the loans we take out. Why is it that companies aren't required to pay back our loans? That's essentially what it is. Regardless of whether or not it is the manufacturing company or the retailer, we front them the money, fill out the correct forms, and they think it's alright to keep what they entitled us to?

Please correct me if I'm wrong on this (seriously possible), but I feel like this is extremely shady business practice. I'm also surprised that instead of making a fuss, people have been taking it long enough from the companies that it is now more likely not to get our money back. :eek:

-Chance Coats

I suspect if/when a class action suit is filed we'll find out that the terms often used in rebate forms will not hold up under scrutiny in court because of the stated rebate based on purchase conditions. You can't tell people that you'll refund $XXX and then say sorry the dog ate your rebate check so you are SOL. :-/

I mean, I've had some good experiences with MIR's from Corsair so this is just a general topic to me.

The one thing I find in your post though, is that people may try to fraud the companies, but what company/bank doesn't keep record of withdraws and deposits as well as check numbers?

I'm talking more about the company just plain not sending the check and less of people scamming. :shrug:

There are some shady companies just like there are some shady consumers.

If companies just used sale prices instead of rebates this could all be eliminated. From what I have read only about 30-40% of rebates are every paid for a variety of reasons, so this is quite beneficial to the companies using rebates.

I feel you man -- MIRs are such a pain. Frankly, I don't even bother purchasing an item unless the MIR is $20+, because I don't want the headache of a $5 or $10 rebate. Even then, it comes in as a @*#$ Visa/Mastercard. Seriously, I want CASH yo, bling-bling and all that. :p

But, you are right...they are getting a free 'loan' which is why they take so <insert curse here> long, so they can sit on the interest or w/e. Not to mention the high rate of people who don't send it it or miss the deadline. Ugh.

Ahhhh, that felt good to rant. Thank you. :D :thup:

There are some shady companies just like there are some shady consumers.

If companies just used sale prices instead of rebates this could all be eliminated. From what I have read only about 30-40% of rebates are every paid for a variety of reasons, so this is quite beneficial to the companies using rebates.

Yeah. For us, it's getting a bit better deal, but they no all along only some of us will "fill out the forms correctly." That seems to be the most common crap excuse I see from companies regarding MIR. "We didn't fill them out correctly," or "the UPC code was 1/16 of an inch too low." :screwy:

I feel you man -- MIRs are such a pain. Frankly, I don't even bother purchasing an item unless the MIR is $20+, because I don't want the headache of a $5 or $10 rebate. Even then, it comes in as a @*#$ Visa/Mastercard. Seriously, I want CASH yo, bling-bling and all that. :p

But, you are right...they are getting a free 'loan' which is why they take so <insert curse here> long, so they can sit on the interest or w/e. Not to mention the high rate of people who don't send it it or miss the deadline. Ugh.

Ahhhh, that felt good to rant. Thank you. :D :thup:

I hate those master cards. :temper: I think the checks would not only be easier to work with, but much easier to keep track of. I guess I'm just crazy. :shrug:

Anyone remember Circuit City and their rebate fiasco that got the government breathing down their neck? It seems advertising anything with "after rebate" price, and then having the rebate service not honoring or going out of business and unable to honor was very bad idea.

If there's a pattern of one rebate service not honoring rebate for any reason, and enough complains to FTC, heads will roll. Anyone doing advertising could be head liable and be required to pay up.

Ohhh. Very nice. I've never really had problems, but I hope some people at least read this thread and make a fuss because of it. Then there might be a time when people actually get their money back. :screwy:

Back