• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Overclockers.com at CES 2011 in Vegas Jan 6th-9th

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

I.M.O.G.

Glorious Leader
I will be there. Already applied and been approved for a press pass. Bringing the little lady with me too.

So who is in Vegas, who is flying in, and who is planning to attend or be at the parties? Post up, and let us know where you are coming from.

I'll update this post with anyone who is in town and plans to make it, or anyone who has booked travel arrangements. I'll also list the maybes, but if you are a "maybe", get your rear in gear and firm up your plans - I'd love to shake your hand and buy you a beer. (or pop) :beer: :soda:

Confirmed Attendees:

I.M.O.G. (Flying from CLE with girl)
Conumdrum (Vegas local)

Maybes:
Splat
Mdcomp
deadlysyn

Travel Info

Hotel info available here:
http://www.cesweb.org/hotelTravel/hotel.asp

Airline discounts (check www.travelzoo.com for deals also - mdcomp works for travelzoo):
http://www.cesweb.org/hotelTravel/airlines.asp

There's shuttle service to get around at the event, info available here:
http://www.cesweb.org/hotelTravel/shuttle.asp

Monorail discount to get from hotel to the event:
https://tickets.lvmonorail.com/ces2011aibfdks9ifbck82n/

Last edited:
Maybe, and a very weak maybe...based on the following

There is also discussion with the press saying there will be no "surprises" coming out of CES. Just stuff that has already had press releases or have already been announced. If this becomes true, I expect the following

1. I bet attendance drops to under 100k,
2. exhibiting companies will be under 2000

OMG are you serious? THIS IS COOL! (sorry, too much :beer: this eveing)

But...it's just an unofficial Overclockers.com meeting, right? We're not representing at CES or anything, correct?

My press pass arrived, too. Hoping that I can make it happen!
:)

Matt

I would love to go to this. My friend from HackADay got to go for free. He loved it.

Just buy the plane tickets! Flights are $300 for me right now, just started watching them - not sure if I can get anything better than that from akron or cleveland airports but going to stay on watch.

I might be staying at the Sahara - got a tip from Chris Ramseyer of Tweaktown that its convenient to catch the train to the center from there, and its more reasonably priced though you can stay in one of the newer towers that are a bit more updated. Looking at prices, normally rooms are about $30-40 there, but for the 6th, 7th, and 8th they are about $100 a night due to the convention ($100 is cheaper than any other hotel on the monorail that I found).

If anyone else has tips about where to stay, I'm all ears - I'd like to NOT mess with taxis and transportation. So I'm looking to either walk across the street to the convention, or be close to the train line. I've never been to Vegas or CES, so input appreciated.

Last edited:
Last time I went to vegas, I stayed at Balley's. Its old and cheap but its on the strip next to Ceasers and Paris. Easy walk to everywhere, and about 15min walk to MGM grand. All you do in Vegas is gamble or be out on the town. The rooms are for when you sleep for 4 hours. :D

I would love to go, not only for CES but for the XS event as well. But I'm a poor college student :-/

Ya, I just heard about the XS events. That should be fun and interesting. Anyone welcome to that or do they have their own registration?

Ask Fuggy, I think you have to register, but idk. It is open though.

I'll hear more from XS later. Last two years I went it was for XS members etc. But no passes or such, you just went. I'd say 100-150 showed up through the party. It's not at CES, it's in town. Not sure where it will be etc.

I always donate some funds to XS to help with Fuggers costs for the website etc. I liked handing him cash, but they have a donate on thier site.

I'm thinking of taking my rig and letting some pro overclocker play with it. It'll be just water cooled. I'll have to work that out with XS, might be hard to get table space.

i have registered on the site. talked to my parents about taking a family trip down to the XS event! looks like i can add one more event to the list.

if you guys could help me out some more though, i don't want to get down there and figure out that i can't attend any of these events i want. i registered on the website, but that is all. i don't think i have registered to any events.

i will be a first timer, so any info you guys have can help me out! driving in from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Basically, the main event is the convention with booths setup you can browse. Miles of them. If you wanted to do nothing but browse the convention floor you could do that the entire trip, if your legs and feet are up to it. Ces is not free, you have to register and pay to attend (unless you got in early and qualify for free attendance, which is already over this year).

Other than that, a lot of companies also hold their own events during and after the show in nearby venues. Some of them are exclusive, some you just need to know someone so you know when to be where and you are welcome to show up.

I'm personally going mainly to browse the floor and see what sort of products companies are showing off and what is getting other people interested. Overclockers.com is not buying a booth and we aren't holding any formal events, but this thread is mainly for me (or anyone) to figure out who is gonna be in the area and maybe we can meetup for a bit or hang out together if we're doing the same stuff.

i have registered on the site. talked to my parents about taking a family trip down to the XS event! looks like i can add one more event to the list.

if you guys could help me out some more though, i don't want to get down there and figure out that i can't attend any of these events i want. i registered on the website, but that is all. i don't think i have registered to any events.

i will be a first timer, so any info you guys have can help me out! driving in from Salt Lake City, Utah.

Unless your connected to the industry invites are hard to come by. Even knowing where the free stuff is, you gotta know who's who and have connections to find out.

CES itself doesn't allow non-industry people to attend. Well, you can be working somewhere and able to use the company name to get in to CES. So you can get in, with a badge and umm they are $100.

This is direct off the CES site:

"Can children and/or spouses attend the International CES?

No, children and spouses may not attend the International CES. The International CES is not open to the general public, and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics industry to be eligible to attend the show. Children, spouses, friends and family who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to the International CES unless they are over the age of 16 and have proof of industry affiliation. "

So unless you got contacts, you probably can't attend CES. I hear Fuggers party will be open bar, so might pass that on to your parents, there will be some pretty hammered people there, including me. Last two years I didn't see any minors at all there. Not really a family kind of thing.

I'm just stating facts so you know more about CES.

The registration guidelines are pretty loose, though for press its tighter than they have been in past years. The official exhibition and events run until 6PM daily, after that there are parties and events you can go to which it helps if you know someone to attend. If there are people in town, and they don't have anything better to do, I'd love to make our own little event and pick a place for some OCF guys to hang. Jot and Nikhsub1 are local like conumdrum, so all are on my hit list for getting together hopefully.

For a general attendee, these are the requirements (you need an ID and a business card or something reflecting you have anything to do with the industry):

Attendance Requirements
The International CES is not open to the general public and all attendees must be in the consumer electronics (CE) industry to be eligible to attend the show. Due to the investment made by our exhibitors, International CES show management wants to ensure that its attendees are members of the trade. All attendees must provide two forms of ID: one photo ID and the other proving their affiliation with the
CE industry (pay stub, business card, etc.). Attendees will not be admitted into the 2011 International CES without these two forms of ID. Children, friends and family who accompany you to Las Vegas will not be granted access to the International CES unless they are over the age of 16 and have proof of industry affiliation.
These are the requirements for press:

For editorial press and bloggers, you must provide at least one of the following (we may request further verification):

Copy of or an Internet link to a published industry-related article from the last three months with your by-line
Copy of masthead from a current issue of an industry-related publication listing you as an editorial contributor
A link to a blog entry posted within the past three months with your by-line
Copy of an article quoting you as an industry analyst
Copy of or an Internet link to a market research report from the last six months listing you as a contributor
Please note: To qualify as press you must write for a nationally and/or internationally recognized media outlet. Trade associations, user groups/forums and newsletters do NOT qualify as media outlets.

Online media must write for a website with more than 1,000 unique visits a month and a reporting staff that posts original tech industry-related news at least weekly.

*Name in by-line must be the same as the name on your registration form.

i registered back in September for free admission. my company i registered under was my dads work; Autoliv. i should be "go-for-launch" and i also plan on attending the XS party and hang with some of you OCForums buddies! i am only 17 years old so as far as the XS party goes... i'm not sure i can attend; seeing as there is a bar there.

i asked fugger though. he said he would get back with me.

way excited to meet up with some of the community!

Back