• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LG pulling a fast one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BuD1369

Registered
I purchased a L227WTG from NewEgg back in Feb '09 for a little less than $300.00. A couple of months ago it started taking a while to come on after a reboot. I did some research & found out others were having the same problem, so I called LG to RA it. It took them over a month to send me FedEx labels to send the monitor back on their dime. When I got home from work today my replacement monitor was waiting for me.

I was expecting a refurbed L227WTG, what I got was a W2343T-PF (I think the PF means its a refurb, not sure though). I dont know how much the LCD market has stabilized, but the 2 prices were substantially different. The monitor I sent in was a gaming monitor, the one I received is a movie monitor.

Funny thing is, at the bottom of the L227 page is a recommended monitor for its replacement a W2252 with more similar specs to my L227 than what they sent me.

Did I get slighted or is this an "even swap", with the 2ms vs 5ms & the 22" vs 23". Its like Im giving up 3ms for an inch of monitor :p

Having the manufacures send me a monitor that Fucntions , and lives time, and doenst have problems, and choosing one that works, has got to be better than having one that everyone had problems with.
but it being a discontinued product (as stated on thier own site) , it sounds like some of the same things that happens with other stuff. Send them some used thing that we fully tested that is working we just happen to have. :-(

what you have now is a good monitor (great reviews), what you had before was not so good as you know. i think you changed in a chicken for a duck , and are now ready for a good holiday meal, as long as it is not GAMEy :)

Personally I doubt you can really tell the difference in 2-5ms of response. my first LCD was a 12ms on and my current is 5ms and I'm no monitor guru but I didn't notice a huge difference between the 2.

Personally I doubt you can really tell the difference in 2-5ms of response. my first LCD was a 12ms on and my current is 5ms and I'm no monitor guru but I didn't notice a huge difference between the 2.

You really can. I can tell a difference from a 2 ms lcd to an old CRT. It's just not the same. Just because I can't physically the difference between 2ms and 12 ms timewise doesn't mean you can't feel something is wrong.

my 2 ms monitor is barely playable for video games compared to my old crt.

You really can. I can tell a difference from a 2 ms lcd to an old CRT. It's just not the same. Just because I can't physically the difference between 2ms and 12 ms timewise doesn't mean you can't feel something is wrong.

my 2 ms monitor is barely playable for video games compared to my old crt.

It's possible some people may notice, but you are also comparing LCD to CRT which is a big difference all around. Try it with a 5ms LCD and a 2ms LCD like the OP is mentioning and I doubt you'll really notice.

In most cases companies say in the RMA process. They will try and replace your item with the same model, though refurbished, they never give new stuff for RMA. If that item is no longer in stock they will try and get something as close to the item you sent in.

EVGA is a great example of this. If you send in a 7800 chances are you are going to get an 8800 or a 9800 back because they no long have a 7800.

Are you getting shafted? probably a little, but that's is all part of the RMA game. they will not give you a new item, and they will not give you something A LOT better than what you gave them performance wise.

Are you getting shafted? probably a little, but that's is all part of the RMA game. they will not give you a new item, and they will not give you something A LOT better than what you gave them performance wise.

That can depend on the available product. I had a dead Maxtor 5.6GB hard drive that I sent in for warranty, got 20GB back. It died while in warranty and sent it in, they sent me 120GB.

So an old $100 investment lasted me 6 years and kept me up with the capacity so I wasn't running out for a while. The 120GB eventually died and it had 1 year instead of 3 years so it was out of warranty.

Back