• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USPS

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jstutman

Not that I was or ever was guilty of.....

I have recieved tons of packages where people were taking a priority box and folding it inside out and using it for standard mail. Today I was tearing down boxes and notices almost all the the priority boxes have text stamped all over the inside that says "Priority mail fee required"

I say...You know USPS if you did not charge more for your Priority than Fedex/UPS and update your 1900's predated tracking information. People may be willing to pay top dollar for your slow shipping :)

Dunno. Flat rate prioroty has saved me a ton of money on shipping. And 3 day across the US is not slow.

I ALMOST always go USPS for shipping because of cost. If its big and heavy, I used fedex. UPS is just too pricey especially when you watch them throw packages out of the back of their truck.

USPS loses millions of dollars each year due to their inefficiency (among other things.)
UPS or FedEx could easily take over mail delivery and most likely turn a profit within a few years, minimum. The fact of the matter is, they're backed by the government so no matter what sorts of complaints or problems we have with them, they'll pretty much always be here... and I doubt they'll change their ways. I dread going to the post office, but flat rate (and specifically flat rate international) shipping are both worlds cheaper than UPS, and money talks.

As a side note, I may or may not have used USPS boxes "back in the day" for shipping UPS... either folding them inside out or just covering them with brown shipping paper. The last batch I got from them (about a week ago), I noticed that they started labeling the insides of the boxes.. Kudos to them for wising up. ;)

If its something small or below $100 I use USPS, anything more or heavy items I stick with UPS or Fedex. I find them more reliable in terms of their tracking information. If anything gets lost I can get my money back, while for USPS it's a ***** getting that "lost package" refund.

I prefer USPS, the service I get just can't be beat. Sometimes a little slow, but I can live with that. Definitely cheaper in most cases.

I do admittedly use UPS to get my packages from the egg. Cheapest option and ground is next day delivery for me since their warehouse is only like 50 miles away.

Me too, I like USPS.
I hate UPS.... my house address as clearly shown but they miss delivered my address to the neighbors instead too often.

I like USPS, never really had a problem with them. I don't deal with UPS and FedEx much.

Flat rate boxes are neat n' cool, by the way.

I have to agree...UPS charged me $10 to ship my PSU but it fit in one of their larger boxes and they shipped for $6 and still made it across the US in 3 days.

USPS is great imho...I never see a damaged package from them either but UPS its almost 100% a dent or two.

I'm a little biased against UPS. One of their drivers tried to kill me when going around a corner waaaay too fast. I've always had good luck with USPS, +1 for flat rate boxes. I do agree they need better tracking

I also use USPS flat-rate boxes ALL THE TIME. Never had an issue - and the boxes are FREE for crying out loud! :rolleyes:

My Mail gets here on time approx 310 days a year and ON SATURDAYS - and any packages they deliver arrive quickly and safely. What's not to like?

After a month-long battle with UPS over a damage claim (the recipient witnessed the driver drop the 55lb package on her doorstep) - I have no quarrels with good old USPS...

Obviously, the OP's mileage may vary ;) ...

:cool:

hehe, ill admit, i did it once or twice and turned a small box inside out before they were labeled on the inside as well. :chair:

That being said.... just shipped a full box cpu (i5 760, heatsink, manual etc) back to intel. shipped saturday an hr before the post office closed, got to intel TODAY at 10 am... and shipping was all of 9.50 WITH tracking (which IMO is decent, ups might be slightly better, but in all honesty usps updates quite often)

I always use USPS, and never really had a problem... (other than a crushed cpu, all the pins were bent, but im blaming that on my cheap *** packaging methods LOL)

They've been stamping the inside of USPS boxes for years here in SoCal (on boxes coming from their Orange County box company).

Here is what I don't understand... why people DONT choose Priority mail over Parcel post.

When we receive a package back from a customer (we primarily ship via USPS at work), they might pay extra for delivery confirmation and insurance on their USPS parcel post package because the lovely person at the counter told them its a good idea. Now, this is true... however, it generally pushes the shipping price of the package, that we shipped to them for ~$8, to over $10, AND it takes 3-4 more days to get there.

The base price of parcel post may be cheaper than priority mail, but just adding delivery confirmation (which is NOT the same as Priority mail tracking as it will only show up after delivery) will usually make it as expensive or more expensive than the comparable Priority mail package or UPS/Fedex shipment.

On top of it, Priority mail travels through the air (when its not a local package) on Fedex airplanes (ironically, the same basic system Smartpost uses but PM is much faster). Simply stated: USPS Parcel post is a waste of time and a dinosaur of the days before priority mail.

They've been stamping the inside of USPS boxes for years here in SoCal (on boxes coming from their Orange County box company).

Here is what I don't understand... why people DONT choose Priority mail over Parcel post.

When we receive a package back from a customer (we primarily ship via USPS at work), they might pay extra for delivery confirmation and insurance on their USPS parcel post package because the lovely person at the counter told them its a good idea. Now, this is true... however, it generally pushes the shipping price of the package, that we shipped to them for ~$8, to over $10, AND it takes 3-4 more days to get there.

The base price of parcel post may be cheaper than priority mail, but just adding delivery confirmation (which is NOT the same as Priority mail tracking as it will only show up after delivery) will usually make it as expensive or more expensive than the comparable Priority mail package or UPS/Fedex shipment.

On top of it, Priority mail travels through the air (when its not a local package) on Fedex airplanes (ironically, the same basic system Smartpost uses but PM is much faster). Simply stated: USPS Parcel post is a waste of time and a dinosaur of the days before priority mail.

Most items I've shipped (small like cpu's and ram) usually only run a nickle to a quarter more for priority. Most of the CPU's i've shipped were in boxes much larger (and able to package much better) than the small flate rate for around the same price as a flat rate as well. I only ship via USPS as that's all that's available here in this hick town and I've always had positive experiences with them.

Been like this for almost a decade now, to fight off people getting cheap using "free" Priority mail boxes for non Priority mail service.

For under a few pounds, the difference are just pennies so I usually go with priority mail. For larger package (over 15# for example), where the item does not fit flat rate box, and when I can't get to UPS, I may go with parcel post.

Back