• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

UPS - Three Strikes and You're Out!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

WonderingSoul

Team 32 Folding Member
Firstly I will prompt that I usually get fair service from UPS in the past but they have since hit a terrible skid.

Strike 1 - Firstly I had purchased an expensive camera lens (expensive for my standards) for my girlfriend's new DSLR. The lens was delivered promptly and on time... To the wrong house. Luckily I live in an honest neighborhood and my neighbor brought it over to me. Ok, no big deal, they delivered it to the wrong house, it happens once in a while.

Strike 2 - I had ordered a simple book from Amazon.com. Again, delivered to the WRONG HOUSE. Twice in a row the deliveryman delivered the item to the wrong house now. I can feel my blood beginning to boil.

Strike 3 - This one really absolutely infuriates me. I purchased a mint condition Parasite Eve II game for PS1. UPS luckily delivers the package to the right place this time... However... THE PACKAGE IS EMPTY. Amazon shipped it in a bubble mailer and somewhere along the way the package was ripped along an edge and my game grew legs. Thankfully Amazon issued me a full refund.

Now really, what are the odds all three of these occurrences happen in a row... I must be an outlying statistic in their whole scheme of things. But c'mon!

Ever since last summer UPS has had erratic delivery times as well. Some days I get them before lunch, sometimes I need to double check my doorstep before I go to bed they are so late.

Ugh. I am just sick of this and had to explode by their recent lack attention. :mad:

Was he actually delivering it to the wrong house? or dropping it off with a neighbor because you weren't home? is your address like an apartment or something? I have always been curious as to what the recourse would be for someone whose package has been stolen when the driver leave it with someone else because they would have to sign for it im assuming it would probably end up a police matter at that point

Firstly I will prompt that I usually get fair service from UPS in the past but they have since hit a terrible skid.

Strike 1 - Firstly I had purchased an expensive camera lens (expensive for my standards) for my girlfriend's new DSLR. The lens was delivered promptly and on time... To the wrong house. Luckily I live in an honest neighborhood and my neighbor brought it over to me. Ok, no big deal, they delivered it to the wrong house, it happens once in a while.

Strike 2 - I had ordered a simple book from Amazon.com. Again, delivered to the WRONG HOUSE. Twice in a row the deliveryman delivered the item to the wrong house now. I can feel my blood beginning to boil.

Strike 3 - This one really absolutely infuriates me. I purchased a mint condition Parasite Eve II game for PS1. UPS luckily delivers the package to the right place this time... However... THE PACKAGE IS EMPTY. Amazon shipped it in a bubble mailer and somewhere along the way the package was ripped along an edge and my game grew legs. Thankfully Amazon issued me a full refund.

Now really, what are the odds all three of these occurrences happen in a row... I must be an outlying statistic in their whole scheme of things. But c'mon!

Ever since last summer UPS has had erratic delivery times as well. Some days I get them before lunch, sometimes I need to double check my doorstep before I go to bed they are so late.

Ugh. I am just sick of this and had to explode by their recent lack attention. :mad:

United Package Smashers are just about 1 hair's width away from DHL as the worst delivery company on the planet.

At least, based on my experiences with them, anyway...

Let's see...here are some highlights of my dealings with them.

Checked status of $1800 computer parts package (3 top end nVidia Cards for a Tri-SLI build) and it showed as "delivered". Problem with that was that I sat there on the couch all day waiting on the delivery guy, who never showed. I check the door and there is a "we missed you" infonotice hanging there saying they were delivered to Management Office. (Not possible, as it is closed every 3rd Wednesday of the month)

I contacted UPS and they say they show it as having been delivered and signed for. I explain that I sat at home all day waiting on the pkg and it was -not- delivered, but that I have an infonotice number saying they were, but they did NOT deliver it . They say they have a signature on file. I ask them to email/fax it to me. UPS Lady then says, "Ohh..." and hangs up. (WTF?!?!?!)

I call back and ask for supervisor and explain issue to her. She looks and says, "Ohh...looks like the driver delivered it to the Management Office of your apartment complex. I explain that isn't possible since that day is the one and only Wednesday a month they are not in the office.

Long story short, delivery guy showed up to deliver, NEVER knocked because he didn't think I'd be home, and placed the info notice on the door. Then he proceeded to mark it as delivered and went to the Apartment Magement Office to drop it off and get them to sign for it. When he found the office closed, he put it back on his truck and went about the rest of his deliveries.

It took a while to find that out and required conferencing in the Newegg Representative so me, UPS, and Newegg, were all on the phone together with Newegg asking UPS repeatedly where the package is...While we we're having an admittedly heated 3-way discussion, I get a knock on the door (It's now 6:30pm) and who shows up? Yeah...it's the delivery guy. I explain to Newegg and UPS that the delivery guy is now here and the UPS lady asks to speak to him, and he explains what happened...

Another time, I placed an order with a couple different companies and the shipping is due to arrive on consecutive days. (Think it was Newegg and Directron, or maybe MWAVE?) I get an infonotice for the first package and called UPS and told them to hold that package at the local facility so I can go pick it up the next day after work. I explain to them that I have a second package due to be arriving the next day and ask them to hold it too so I can pick up both the next day after work. I go through the whole phone maze process to reach someone human, explain the issue, get confirmation that both will be held, and also receive a call from the local facility with confirmation they will be available the next day for pick up after work.

I drive 30 miles after work the next day to the facility to get them. Yeah...you guessed it. they aren't there. They're on the truck and, because it's the same ****** driver who I mentioned above, he decided to wait until 4:30pm to deliver them to my apartment. Only problem is, at that exact time, I'm standing in the UPS Facility 30 miles away asking the very same person I spoke to the previous day where the hell my packages are...Supervisor comes out to ask what my problem is, so I explained everything to her. She apologized but could do nothing about it. (of course)

Only good that came out of those two debacles is that UPS has me flagged in their system so that ANY package sent to me through them is automatically held at the local facility and no delivery attempt is ever made. Ever. I check the emailed tracking numbers now when I order something and, on the day a package is scheduled to be delivered, I go to the facility after work to pick it up.

Was he actually delivering it to the wrong house? or dropping it off with a neighbor because you weren't home? is your address like an apartment or something? I have always been curious as to what the recourse would be for someone whose package has been stolen when the driver leave it with someone else because they would have to sign for it im assuming it would probably end up a police matter at that point

Yes they were delivered to the incorrect house, both times. I live on a modest street where maybe a dozen or so houses are (the streets total length is maybe a little longer than 1/4 mile). My neighbor is a good 40 yards away. So either the drive was negligent and assumed he had the right house or just didn't give a damn.

I had my package go from CA to KY to AZ, attempted to deliver locally, returned to AZ facility, back to KY, to MI, and finally delivered. 8 days delivery on what should have been 3 days delivery.

I still don't see how they could "deliver" to me in AZ when the address and zip code were correct on the package I got.

I have never had an issue with ups to be honest, that was their fault.
I had one box that a friend packaged for me, it was full of my household things and it weighed right at 100lbs. The box got beat up on the way here, but there was a ton of **** loosely packed in there so I honestly don't blame them.

But I have to say, between my roommate and I we probably order more stuff online than anyone on these boards ever will. We get 2-3 boxes a day and we have not had an issue with anyone other that USPS who has screwed us over many times.

I have never had an issue with ups to be honest, that was their fault.
I had one box that a friend packaged for me, it was full of my household things and it weighed right at 100lbs. The box got beat up on the way here, but there was a ton of **** loosely packed in there so I honestly don't blame them.

But I have to say, between my roommate and I we probably order more stuff online than anyone on these boards ever will. We get 2-3 boxes a day and we have not had an issue with anyone other that USPS who has screwed us over many times.

I have never had any issues with USPS or FedEX, UPS on the other hand has always given me issues and especially lately.

I too will say that, for the most part, USPS has been fine, except for one really weird occasion where I ordered something using 4-7 day shipping that arrived in 3 days and they would not give it to me.

I got the notice that it was at the main post office and, when I went to pick it up, they would not let me. They stated that I paid for 4-7 day shipping so I should return tomorrow (on the 4th day) to get it.

Of course, with FedEx, I almost always have problems which is a shame since they are headquartered here in Memphis...

If I do not use 2 day shipping or better, which is obviously far more expensive, I have to drive out of the state to go to the packaging facility to pick up my packages.

FedEx never deliveres them at a time when I am home, and I'm okay with that...but you would think that the package would be delivered to their Bartlett packaging facility prior to being delivered to a bartlett address. Nope...I need to drive to Mississippi for anything shipped with less than 2nd day air. Weird...

I've never had delivery problems with any company when I've had a tracking number to follow a package. Nothing has been delivered broke. Nothing has been delivered opened.

The only thing I hate is not being able to see where my package is in real time. When tracking a package it seems like the websites all are a few hours behind on where the package actually is. I've been told its a homeland security issue and they do this as a security thing. If this isn't true there is no reason when a package is scanned that the website isn't automatically updated.

After missing both Fedex and UPS I signed the missed you message and ask them to leave it without a signature between the doors.
Now I cant undo this no signature stuff.
On every order I place under comments I put must get signature.
My package always left next to the mail box 10+ feet from door.
There is but one good ups man that will ring my bell.
How do I undo this no signature stuff and return it to must get a signature.

Friend of ours was returning a computer she had issue's with and had UPS pick the package up at her place, the driver did not bring the paper work for the package and she made a mistake of letting him take the package. She had paid for the shipping over the phone with a CC and they lost the computer but had not charged her card yet, she had insured the package for $2000 but they claimed she did not buy insurance and told her they would only pay her the standard $100 for lost item. After fighting with them for over a month and being told she was out of luck she ended up writing a letter to a supervisor and he ended up getting involved with it and UPS paid her $1900 for the lost computer but it was very stressful on her. Now I admit she should have never let the computer go without paper work but they should have brought it with them since they where there to pickup the package.

About 15 year ago I had to return a shotgun for repairs to the manufacturer and when the shotgun was returned to me it had the signature of adult required on it, I came home from work to see my package a clearly marked box of what it was laying on my porch :mad:.

About 15 year ago I had to return a shotgun for repairs to the manufacturer and when the shotgun was returned to me it had the signature of adult required on it, I came home from work to see my package a clearly marked box of what it was laying on my porch

Be happy you even got it.
Twice I sent back a month old Rem 410 because it jammed with 3 inch shells.
The gun got lost or stolen on the return
Rem made good with a new style 410.
Ten years later I buy a Rem 1100LT-20 in which the second shot gets jammed if the gun is used in rain, sleet or snow.
I tried tried different ammo and even some Rotweil shells which jammed.
Again the return gun gets lost by ups because the return box is maked firearms all over the box.
Remington replaces the second gun which I still have
Maybe a law that package containing firearms must be marked as such.

Back